[SOLVED] How to listen to audio when in DND mode?

crdf

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
I just updated my HTC one M9 to android 7 version 4.14.401.7.
I use my phone as my pocket mobile computer rather than to talk to people. I also don't like sounds and vibration so I always have it in DND or silent mode (sounds give me severe anxiety and I have sleeping issues - even vibration wakes me up)
I listen to music and audio books lot. Well, with the latest update it turns out that app volume is also muted in the silent mode and this cannot be manually overwritten.
I've been trying to find a way around this but I am not managing. I sure agree this has to be an option but I find the absolute mute forced on users in my situations to be idiotic and just something that was not well thought trough.
I am not sure I can manage with a roll back unless someone can advise how I can do that.
Is anyone able to suggest how I can resolve the issue with my audio apps as I really would like to be able to listen to my books without having to change the sound profile. And before it gets suggested the time option on allowing sound is not good enough.

Any help with this will be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to listen to audio when in DND mode?

I just tested on my Nexus 6P running 7.1.1 Nougat. DnD enabled, opened Google Play Music and I could listen to music.

crdf

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site

Thanks guys. I figured it out.

It is as I pointed out in my original post, however because I never before needed the priority mode I've never used it. It turns out now priority mode is silent mode - No sounds and vibration (alarm rings) and media(app) sounds. I think that resolved my problem, however I still think that the software change is completely idiotic as you do need to customize priority so it makes it more complicated.

Thanks for the replies.

crdf

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site

Never had this issue with my HTC 10.

I'm just curios if you have the same software version as my self and if you are saying that when you choose Silent mode you can listed to in-app audio?
Android ; Version 4.14.401.7.

rikkiprince

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi +crdf,

Could you explain what you did in a bit more detail? This exact same problem is frustrating me massively, and I can't figure out what you did in your settings to get it to work. The only customisation of priority I can find under "Priority only allows" is Reminders and Events. Nothing about audio apps.

Cheers,
Rikki

Marvin-13

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have this same problem and it pisses me off because I am always in class or at work so I can't have sound on, and my vibration motor doesn't work so I used to just leave my phone on silent :/

pr4499

Jun 19, 2017
Visit site
Can I please resurrect this one? The problem with the last solution is that priority mode doesn't allow you to turn off vibrate. What if you just want DND mode, no vibrate, and still want to be able to play media? Ie: play a music or meditation track without receiving any call notifications whatsoever. Without turning it to aeroplane mode. This problem has only just come up with the last update. It's now impossible to have it on DND and still play media. Please help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy