Battery usage question

Axxel2017

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
My s7 got nougat this week. I'm curious:
1. What is ideal percentage for android system and OS % and how far down the list would you want them?

2. Am I crazy or does it report battery usage different than MM? For example if battery is down to 90% and 10% used. Android system reports 2% which means it used 2% of the total used (10%). It seems MM would report 2% of the total available (100)? Does this make sense and am i wrong? Lol

3. Also, . Is Nougat utilizing the motion sensors to control doze on the go at all like MM did or did they totally discontinue use of those sensors?

4. Finally, on a light use cycle, wouldn't you expext idle or standby to lead the list and android system and os to still be down the list? That's the whole idea of doze.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central!

1. What is ideal percentage for android system and OS % and how far down the list would you want them?
This will depend on how much your screen is on, what other apps you may be using, and how good your cell signal is. On my Nexus 6P, Android OS and Android System are usually 2nd or 3rd. But if you haven't had the screen on much, the OS and System will end up being a proportionally higher battery user, since the screen is usually the top battery user. Poor cell signal can increase your Cell Standby battery usage as well, which might decrease the relative proportion of battery use by OS and System.

2. Am I crazy or does it report battery usage different than MM? For example if battery is down to 90% and 10% used. Android system reports 2% which means it used 2% of the total used (10%). It seems MM would report 2% of the total available (100)?
The two examples you give are essentially the same -- it's reporting the absolute percentage of battery that's been used, not relative. 2% of 10% total battery would actually be 0.2%. Android has been reporting battery usage as an absolute percentage rather than a relative percentage ever since Marshmallow, I believe.

I'm afraid I can't comment on 3 or 4.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For Item 3 - I have the App "Greenify" and according to the instructions in that, Nougat does use the motion sensor for doze - it's just not very aggressive (as in it takes hours instead of minutes for the lack of motion to trigger doze mode) - Greenify boasts (or lets you set) a custom time frame for the trigger. I have yet to try the custom feature - I just left the default and haven't really payed attention to it's benefits as yet!

For Item 4 - I'll try to see what mine looks like tomorrow morning after sitting overnight on a full charge and tell you what my Nougat stats show after standby and then again after a few hours of use later in the morning!

Axxel2017

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
For Item 3 - I have the App "Greenify" and according to the instructions in that, Nougat does use the motion sensor for doze - it's just not very aggressive (as in it takes hours instead of minutes for the lack of motion to trigger doze mode) - Greenify boasts (or lets you set) a custom time frame for the trigger. I have yet to try the custom feature - I just left the default and haven't really payed attention to it's benefits as yet!

For Item 4 - I'll try to see what mine looks like tomorrow morning after sitting overnight on a full charge and tell you what my Nougat stats show after standby and then again after a few hours of use later in the morning!

That would be great to see those stats. Thanks.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
...and here's what it's done since then until around 1:30 PM with light to medium use (had to scroll down and lose the upper graph to show all the uses):
830AM_til_130PM.jpg

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh man you have something killing your battery lol. Weak 4g signal maybe? Also, what made you put it on power saving mode? Do you notice any functional differences in that? I've left mine default (off).

Didn't notice any LOSS of function when I switched to "mid" - battery life definitely improved dramatically. And, "Yes" the 4G signal here isn't great, so that is a big part of the issue...

ALSO - I had to delete my entire original post that you quoted me on because I had the pictures backwards - look again, they're correct now! My post number 7 is my 8 hours of standby... :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Cell Standby is relatively high, which usually indicates poor cell signal causing the phone to use more battery to maintain the connection. Install GSam Battery Monitor and show us the graph that has the Cell Signal Strength plotted against the Battery Level.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Cell Standby is relatively high, which usually indicates poor cell signal causing the phone to use more battery to maintain the connection. Install GSam Battery Monitor and show us the graph that has the Cell Signal Strength plotted against the Battery Level.
Guys, I wasn't asking for assistance, I was just trying to answer "Axxel2017's" 3rd and 4th questions in the OP - I have GSAM and I know I have really crappy cell coverage here. It's actually the ONLY thing I miss about Verizon - I had a rock solid signal here at the house with them! AT&T, however, gives me the coverage in my camper at the beach that Verizon did not and that is KEY for me in the summer!!! :cool: Thank you guys for the options...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
@jimd1050, LOLOL!:p Sorry, I was probably just focusing on the screenshots, and losing track of who was asking and who was answering. Thanks for lending a hand!:D

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... strangely enough D, GSam reports "Screen", "Held Awake" and "App Usage" as the culprits for the overnight standby loss rather than "Cell Standby" and "Device Idle" - imagine that... must be why you were pointing me in that direction? Guess what was using the battery overnight? The infamous "Always On Display" - I shut it off and this morning I had 99% left at 8:30 AM - duh!

What good is the Factory OS' Battery Monitor if we can't trust it's statistics?

EDIT - I just turned AOD back on and set it to come on at 9:00 AM and shut off at 11:00 PM instead of being "Always On" - that was my problem!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What good is the Factory OS' Battery Monitor if we can't trust it's statistics?

Glad you figured it out! When I looked at your screenshots again after what you just posted, it actually makes decent sense now. I had thought those stats were at the end of the day, and the Screen % represented normal usage through the day. So I was focusing more on Cell Standby. But now I realize that those stats were overnight, up until 1:30 PM, so if you weren't using the phone much after waking up, then the Screen % of 16% is much more unusual (and as you discovered, was from the AOD feature).

Cell Standby of 9% still isn't great, so signal might yet be an issue (albeit a relatively minor one).