Why is my Voice-to-Text creating multiple text entries?

OatMaGoat

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and have used it fine for several months, but this last week I was automatically updated to Android 7.0 Nougat. This is when I began noticing the Voice-to-Text feature of my keyboard(s) acting strange. When I use the microphone to use VTT it sometimes (most of the time, not always) creates several versions of what I said based on text recommendations. For example, saying "test" yields "test tests text." This also applies to longer phrases as well.

I have already attempted some troubleshooting and done some Googling. I have tried restarting my phone, I checked my Google Voice settings, I have tried switching virtual keyboards, and I have tried playing with my Language & Input settings.

The biggest issue with finding a solution is perhaps that I do not know what exactly to look up and also this does not seem to be a common issue. Most VTT issues I found were relating to it not working, period. This is more of an intermittent (read: frequent) performance issue.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This issue has cropped up a few times the past few days. One of our Moderators also noticed it on his phone. It may be a problem on the Google server side -- give it a few days to see if they fix it.

kaybee59

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
I have had the exact same problem since my Samsung Galaxy s7 edge went through the automatic update last weekend. My husband has the Galaxy s4 and his is doing the same thing also. It is soooo frustrating!!

morgana47

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
yes having the same issue here. Everytime I use the microphone wether to text or in my browser, I get multiple VTT using different spellings of the same words..EXAMPLE: my text is flipping out my texts is flipping out my texts just flipping out my text just flipping out my text is Flippin out

Charlotte user

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
It's on Google TTS and started after the last Android patch last week. Mine is Galaxy J5. Is there way to be updated by Android Central or a place to look if there's a fix posted that we need to do on our end? About to fix it with a hammer.

Switching to Samsung TTS seems to be helping.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine is Galaxy J5. Is there way to be updated by Android Central or a place to look if there's a fix posted that we need to do on our end? About to fix it with a hammer.

People are starting to report that the bug has been fixed, so you might have to wait another day or so for the fix to reach your phone. FYI, Android Central is an independent site, and has no direct affiliation with Google or any other manufacturer or software company.

Charlotte user

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
Dear Ambassador Diddy,

THANK YOU!! Grateful for the update and for Android Central. My new favorite resource. Switching to Samsung TTS (Settings, Language & input, Speech, Talk-to-text) seems to have helped too. Thank you for the update, I may go back next week.

You also taught me to use this quote function so I got an email update. :) Hammer is back in the toolbox.

People are starting to report that the bug has been fixed, so you might have to wait another day or so for the fix to reach your phone. FYI, Android Central is an independent site, and has no direct affiliation with Google or any other manufacturer or software company.