Nougat upgrade RUINS split screen on the Galaxy S7

GeneralReese

Mar 14, 2017
Visit site
The split screen / multi window option on the S7 was perfect ever since I got the phone. But since I updated to Android 7 over the weekend, multi window is basically unusable for me now.

Now, whenever I have 2 apps side by side, and I touch one, the other stops refreshing.

For instance, when I drive, I use a car dock, and I would split screen Google Maps and GoneMad music player. Both would work perfectly together, and if I reached up and hit the "play next" button while driving, the Navigation feature on Google Maps would be unaffected.

Now when I do that, Maps literally stops in its place, and if I want to see where I am on the map, I have to touch the Maps side of the screen. But when I do that, the music player stops in its place. It would require me to keep touching my phone, instead of just glancing at it every minute or so while I'm driving.

Another example is if I'm watching a long Facebook or YouTube video, and I want to send a text, when I split screen into my texts and start interacting with the text messaging app, the video stops playing. Sometimes with the Facebook app it completely refreshes the page.

This feature that was almost perfect seems to be totally ruined by this system update. Split screen is why I stuck with Samsung in the first place. Is there a way around this? Is there a setting I'm unaware of? Maybe a 3rd party app? Anyone else have this problem?

djskyline

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
The split screen / multi window option on the S7 was perfect ever since I got the phone. But since I updated to Android 7 over the weekend, multi window is basically unusable for me now.

Now, whenever I have 2 apps side by side, and I touch one, the other stops refreshing.

For instance, when I drive, I use a car dock, and I would split screen Google Maps and GoneMad music player. Both would work perfectly together, and if I reached up and hit the "play next" button while driving, the Navigation feature on Google Maps would be unaffected.

Now when I do that, Maps literally stops in its place, and if I want to see where I am on the map, I have to touch the Maps side of the screen. But when I do that, the music player stops in its place. It would require me to keep touching my phone, instead of just glancing at it every minute or so while I'm driving.

Another example is if I'm watching a long Facebook or YouTube video, and I want to send a text, when I split screen into my texts and start interacting with the text messaging app, the video stops playing. Sometimes with the Facebook app it completely refreshes the page.

This feature that was almost perfect seems to be totally ruined by this system update. Split screen is why I stuck with Samsung in the first place. Is there a way around this? Is there a setting I'm unaware of? Maybe a 3rd party app? Anyone else have this problem?

You are not alone. Maps seems to freeze when it is not the focused side of the split. This seems to only happen once Nougat is installed. I'm checking through the logs of the OTA updates from my carrier (Sprint) but have not seen any references to a fix. I am continuing my hunt, and I'm glad I came across your post (I thought I was alone). I'll come back to this thread if I find any solutions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781