Just upgraded to Nougat on Galaxy s7. What does SD card icon mean?

richpate

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
After OS upgrade, a notification appeared (an SD card icon at top of screen), when read says, "SD card. Tap here to transfer media files." What does this mean exactly. Transfer media files TO or FROM the SD card?

When I tap on this notification I get a screen "My Files > SD card" listing several folders and how many items in each.

Is this a new OS thing? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's probably just a reminder to the user that an SD card is inserted, and provides an easy way to get to the file manager if you want to transfer any files. Is it always there, or only upon initial boot? My ASUS Zenfone 2 does something like that.

richpate

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello B. Diddy. Yes, the icon (graphic of an SD card) is still there in the upper left corner of home screen where notifications are usually indicated, even after restart and general usage during today. Seems to be permanent now after the OS upgrade to Nougat.

Is the screen "My Files > SD card" that I get when I tap on the notification drop-down the File Manager you mentioned? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, My Files is the stock file manager app on Samsung phones.

Swipe down the notification panel and long-press that notification, then tap App Info. What app is giving you the notification? If it's My Files, then open My Files and check its settings to see if there is an option to turn off the notification.

richpate

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Thanks B. Daddy. When I long-press the SD Card notification, "APP NOTIFICATIONS" screen pops up listing "System UI." The only option is to turn on "Set as priority," which is now turned off by default.

I tapped on the back-arrow in front of "APP NOTIFICATIONS" and it took me to All apps, listing each app and the notification status of each app, Blocked or Allowed. The status of My Files is Allowed. The only option available when I tap My Files is "Set as priority" to allow app to sound and turn on the screen.

When opening the My Files app, the only options I can see is Manage Files via Wi-Fi Only (on) and Show Hidden Files (off).

I wonder if the new always-on SD Card icon is a default short-cut to My Files, like the hard-drive icons on a PC or Mac desktop?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae