Third Party Calling Apps disconnect once phone sleeps

TyFurry

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Hey all,

I've had this problem ever since I upgraded my Samsung Galaxy S& to Nougat 7.0.

What happens is whenever I use a third party calling app to call someone, about 10 minutes after I turn off my phone screen, it appears my phone goes to sleep and I cannot hear the other person and they can't hear me. As soon as I turn on my phone again, we can hear each other.

My suspicion was that it was the wifi disconnecting when the phone sleeps but I have it set so the wifi stays connected even while the phone is sleeping. I've cleared the cache and reset the app to it's default settings just in case it was something with the app but it's happening on multiple apps. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've also noticed notifications were not coming through until I turned on my phone. I thought the two problems were related but I have yet to confirm that resetting the app to it's default settings has fixed the notification problem. I have confirmed that I still cannot hear the other person after resetting the app settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Any power-saving modes turned on, or 3rd party battery-saving apps installed? Also, is Restrict Background Data turned on in Settings>Data Usage​?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to your Settings>Battery menu, and tap Menu. Is there a Battery Optimization option there? If you don't see it there, search your Settings for it. Find your app in that list and make sure it isn't batttery optimized.

TyFurry

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I checked and I see nothing indicating I am optimizing my battery. There's a performance setting and it's set to Optimize rather than High Performance or Gaming. But that shouldn't have any impact on what my phone does when it sleeps. Prior to updating to Nougat 7.0, my phone was on Optimize as well and I didn't have this problem so I'm confident it's not this performance setting.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just in case, see if the problem persists in High Performance. Any battery-saving feature could potentially do this kind of thing -- it might not recognize the 3rd party calling app as one that needs to stay active while the screen sleeps, and therefore might be forced to pause or close after a certain interval after the screen has gone to sleep. And since it was working prior to Nougat, it's possible that the Nougat update messed up that feature somewhat.

TyFurry

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I happened to notice this just night... The third party app did not disconnect at all while the phone was charging. So it seems like it has to do with the phone sleeping while it's charging vs sleeping when it's not charging?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That could still be related to the Optimize Battery setting. See if it happens in High Performance.

TyFurry

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
It still happens on high performance. But I noticed that when my phone charges it doesn't drop out. I guess keeping my phone charged is a solution but not an ideal one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Frustrating.:-\ Another approach would be to contact the developer of the 3rd party calling app to see if they're aware of this issue in Nougat.