Will nougat backup similar to Iphone now?
    Meaning, if I factory reset, will it restore everything, or is it piecemeal as it has been on the past, backing up only certain apps?
    04-29-2017 07:08 AM
    It doesn't back up everything. Was there a specific thing you were thinking of backing up?
    aximtreo likes this.
    04-29-2017 08:53 AM
    The backup feature is reliant upon the app developer supporting the API to do so. Games should utilize Google Play Games to sync your progress to other or new devices. Other apps should support the API level to allow backup using the Backup menu in the Google Drive app. I seem to recall reading a post from someone that mentioned Samsung may have found a way to disable that capability to force people to use the Samsung Cloud tools.
    04-29-2017 02:25 PM
    It doesn't back up everything. Was there a specific thing you were thinking of backing up?
    The beauty of a factory reset in the IOS world is they do a great job of restoring you back as if you never did the reset.

We all know that a factory reset for Android will sometime speed the device, extend battery life, etc.

What I'd like to see is some sort of Google intervention that will do the same. I've used helium, and will again, but it would be nice if it were smoother...
    04-30-2017 06:24 AM
    Jerry wrote an article on this subject 2 weeks ago actually.

How to back up your Android phone or tablet: The ultimate guide | Android Central
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    04-30-2017 07:25 AM
    The backup feature is reliant upon the app developer supporting the API to do so. Games should utilize Google Play Games to sync your progress to other or new devices. Other apps should support the API level to allow backup using the Backup menu in the Google Drive app. I seem to recall reading a post from someone that mentioned Samsung may have found a way to disable that capability to force people to use the Samsung Cloud tools.
    This...

Google has everything in place to back all this stuff up, but a lot of it is developer dependant... The application data backup system has been in place since, maybe 5.0? But the APIs are there, but we are still at the point where very few developers use it. You can see the list of who uses it in Google Drive (look in settings -> Manage Backups).

There will be an obvious lack of non-Google apps in that list... why? Not sure... Perhaps there is some restriction that we are not aware of, but its silly that the API is not included in near every app. Google gives every app a quote-free 25MB container in which they can stuff app data.
    05-01-2017 12:54 PM