Curious about something...

I just bought a Nexus 5X from Project Fi to use primarily on my road bike as a bike computer, workout tracker, emergency phone, etc.

I would have preferred to set it up identically (to the extent possible) to my primary device, a Pixel XL, but for some reason the 5X doesn't see it as available:

Copying from Pixel XL to Nexus 5X-img_20170503_115451.jpg

As you can see, it only picks up my unused Nexus 7. Why doesn't it see the Pixel XL? I *do* have backup enabled (Settings -> Backup & reset -> Backup) and used the same Gmail account on both devices. The Pixel shows that everything has been backup through May 2nd/3rd.
    05-03-2017 11:05 AM
    Is your 5X already on Nougat? I wonder if the phone has to be on Nougat in order to restore from a Nougat phone. If it's still on Marshmallow, maybe you could set it up first without restoring from a device, then do the system update to Nougat, then remove your Google account and do an authorized factory reset, and try again.
    hallux likes this.
    05-03-2017 05:57 PM
    Is your 5X already on Nougat? I wonder if the phone has to be on Nougat in order to restore from a Nougat phone. If it's still on Marshmallow, maybe you could set it up first without restoring from a device, then do the system update to Nougat, then remove your Google account and do an authorized factory reset, and try again.
    I guess that would be a possibility; the Nexus 7 - which *is* listed - is running Marshmallow 6.0.1.

I've already allowed the 5X to install a multitude of OS updates and not sure where it started out at first boot. I know they originally sold with Marshmallow installed; I guess the units being sold to Project Fi customers are still coming with Marshmallow out of the box.

Now that it (the 5X) has been fully updated, maybe I'll set aside some time to do a factory reset and try migrating from the Pixel XL once again. It's not hugely important at this point though - the 5X will be used on my road bike as a bike computer/workout tracker/emergency phone and I have already set it up with everything I actually need on it for that purpose.

Still, it would be nice to know for sure.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-04-2017 08:23 AM