This is a bit odd.

I was at the gym this morning, listening to PowerAmp music player through Bluetooth earbuds (Jaybird X2's) as I always do and Endomondo workout tracker running in the background.

I was on an upright bike when I remembered that I had intended to setup and test Google Duo for video chats between myself and my wife, so I opened Duo and went through the initial setup procedure which includes a phone number verification step. All went well and, since there was nothing more to do until I have access to my wife's phone this evening, I exited out of Duo (that is, I returned to the home screen) with PowerAmp still playing and Endomondo running in the background.

At some point, I pulled down the notification shade for whatever reason (I don't recall, but it may even have been an accidental swipe) and, a moment later, I briefly saw one of those little white text on black background oblong notifications pop up at the bottom of the screen that said "Saving audio to..." that's all I read before it went away.

Huh? Saving *what* audio? Duo had been closed for a minute or two at this point, but could it have been coming from Duo? If yes, then why; if not, then what?
    05-05-2017 08:40 AM
    Have a peek in the file manager for recent audio files...
    05-05-2017 08:49 AM
    Have a peek in the file manager for recent audio files...
    Yeah, I did that and don't see anything at all.

The most recent change within the "SD Card" folder is a backup of Allo timestamped about an hour after the event. There is nothing else in SD Card folder dated today.

05-05-2017 09:52 AM
    Mmmm I'm with you there, I don't like phones doing mysterious things behind my back. Downloading this and that... I want to know what goes where and be able to control it!
    05-05-2017 07:03 PM
    What about phone storage?
    05-05-2017 07:23 PM
    It might be this: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQues...toast_appears/

I checked https://myactivity.google.com/ and found a couple of likely suspects, in the correct time frame, under the "Search, Google app & more" heading:

Saving audio to...-capture.jpg

If I click the Play button, it changes to a Pause button but no matter how long I wait (okay, I gave it a couple of minutes) there is no sound, no progress bar, and no indication that it will stop on its own. Not sure what that is all about.
    05-06-2017 07:15 AM
    So it's from Google voice? It says it's turned on?
    05-06-2017 10:16 AM
    So it's from Google voice? It says it's turned on?
    It's not entirely clear what triggered it, but I did a simple test by opening Google Assistant and not saying anything at all while she (?) was listening, then just going back to the home screen. When I checked MyActivity there was a new entry identical to the one I posted above.

So, I am guessing that this occurs anytime you use voice input in a Google app (don't know about non-Google apps). And, perhaps, seeing the "Saving audio to..." notification is the result of a recent update of one or more said Google apps which perhaps caused the notification to pop up on "first run" of the updated app.
    05-06-2017 10:44 AM
    PS: If you have never visited https://myactivity.google.com/ you may want to check it out.

Some people freak out when they see what is there...
    05-06-2017 10:46 AM