Saving audio to...

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This is a bit odd.

I was at the gym this morning, listening to PowerAmp music player through Bluetooth earbuds (Jaybird X2's) as I always do and Endomondo workout tracker running in the background.

I was on an upright bike when I remembered that I had intended to setup and test Google Duo for video chats between myself and my wife, so I opened Duo and went through the initial setup procedure which includes a phone number verification step. All went well and, since there was nothing more to do until I have access to my wife's phone this evening, I exited out of Duo (that is, I returned to the home screen) with PowerAmp still playing and Endomondo running in the background.

At some point, I pulled down the notification shade for whatever reason (I don't recall, but it may even have been an accidental swipe) and, a moment later, I briefly saw one of those little white text on black background oblong notifications pop up at the bottom of the screen that said "Saving audio to..." that's all I read before it went away.

Huh? Saving *what* audio? Duo had been closed for a minute or two at this point, but could it have been coming from Duo? If yes, then why; if not, then what?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Have a peek in the file manager for recent audio files...

Yeah, I did that and don't see anything at all.

The most recent change within the "SD Card" folder is a backup of Allo timestamped about an hour after the event. There is nothing else in SD Card folder dated today.

Weird.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Mmmm I'm with you there, I don't like phones doing mysterious things behind my back. Downloading this and that... I want to know what goes where and be able to control it!

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It might be this: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQue...id_44_saving_audio_to_gmailcom_toast_appears/

I checked https://myactivity.google.com/ and found a couple of likely suspects, in the correct time frame, under the "Search, Google app & more" heading:

Capture.JPG

If I click the Play button, it changes to a Pause button but no matter how long I wait (okay, I gave it a couple of minutes) there is no sound, no progress bar, and no indication that it will stop on its own. Not sure what that is all about.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So it's from Google voice? It says it's turned on?

It's not entirely clear what triggered it, but I did a simple test by opening Google Assistant and not saying anything at all while she (?) was listening, then just going back to the home screen. When I checked MyActivity there was a new entry identical to the one I posted above.

So, I am guessing that this occurs anytime you use voice input in a Google app (don't know about non-Google apps). And, perhaps, seeing the "Saving audio to..." notification is the result of a recent update of one or more said Google apps which perhaps caused the notification to pop up on "first run" of the updated app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital