I work in an office that doesn't get good cell coverage. I want to switch off the cell radio so there isn't a drain on the battery. My expectation is that with the cell radio off, the phone will switch over to using Wi-Fi Calling (no issues with company hotspot). Currently, I only see a toggle to switch cell data on/off but nothing for the cell radio. I can turn off the cell radio by going into Airplane mode, but that prevents Wi-Fi Calling from working (though I don't think it should, as one day, there might be a possibility of calling over wi-fi on an aircraft, should wi-fi speed on aircraft get faster...).

I've done a quick search on the interwebs and most inquiries are very old and say the only way is an app. So, either the OS is good about giving up on a weak signal now, so that there's negligible battery drain, or there's an app most people have been adopting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    06-12-2017 05:19 PM
    I work in an office that doesn't get good cell coverage. I want to switch off the cell radio so there isn't a drain on the battery. My expectation is that with the cell radio off, the phone will switch over to using Wi-Fi Calling (no issues with company hotspot). Currently, I only see a toggle to switch cell data on/off but nothing for the cell radio. I can turn off the cell radio by going into Airplane mode, but that prevents Wi-Fi Calling from working (though I don't think it should, as one day, there might be a possibility of calling over wi-fi on an aircraft, should wi-fi speed on aircraft get faster...).

I've done a quick search on the interwebs and most inquiries are very old and say the only way is an app. So, either the OS is good about giving up on a weak signal now, so that there's negligible battery drain, or there's an app most people have been adopting. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Turn on Airplane Mode.

Turn WiFi back on.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-12-2017 05:26 PM
    Turn on Airplane Mode.

Turn WiFi back on.
    I don't think you've quite read all I wrote...

Airplane mode ON
    Wi-Fi back ON

Try to make a call...

"Turn off airplane mode to make a call. OK"
    06-12-2017 05:58 PM
    I don't think you've quite read all I wrote...

Airplane mode ON
    Wi-Fi back ON

Try to make a call...

"Turn off airplane mode to make a call. OK"
    Is there an option to prefer WiFi calling?
    06-12-2017 06:48 PM
    I’d be curious to see the battery usage on WiFi Calling even with weak carrier signal, to see if it relies more on WiFi’s strength.
    06-12-2017 07:08 PM
    Is there an option to prefer WiFi calling?
    Yes, there's Wi-Fi preferred, Wi-Fi only and Cellular network preferred under Wireless & network/More/Wi-Fi calling menu.

I've been able to use Wi-Fi Calling by using Wi-Fi preferred and Wi-Fi only with the cell radio ON. I want cell radio OFF, to preserve battery. My understanding is that the OS will boost the antenna when the cell signal is weak, regardless of what the wi-fi is doing.
    06-12-2017 07:33 PM
    I don't know if it's an N thing or android thing but I see no way to turn it off besides just data.
    06-12-2017 07:49 PM
    There was a new OS update I received last night that allows Wi-Fi Calling with Airplane mode ON. My problem is solved! I can now use Airplane mode to turn off the cell radio.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-13-2017 12:36 PM
    Great
    06-13-2017 01:09 PM