Hey all! So I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge from T-Mobile that I've had for a little over a year. About a week ago, my phone sporadically began opening the Google Play Store, with no input, to seemingly random app download pages. I haven't downloaded any new apps recently, but I've been using Kodi on it a lot, and have been using add-ons (yes I knew better) from unknown sources, but entirely from TVaddons.ag; mostly Exodous. Which, in my defense, is pretty widely used. Anyways, back to my question. I'm pretty certain I picked up some adware, but Lookout isn't flagging anything. I'm figuring whatever is causing the Play Store to pop up is either coded to open at random, do it's dirty, and then shut back down, or it's disguised itself as a system app, and that's why Lookout isn't finding anything. So, I've been going through and looking at and researching the system apps in my phone to see if there are any that don't check out when I came across this one labeled: com.qti.xdirect
    Since I can't find any info on it at all, I was hoping someone here might know what this is, and if it's legit, or at least have some thoughts on the overall problem with the adware. Thanks all!
    06-16-2017 11:42 PM
    Hey all! So I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge from T-Mobile that I've had for a little over a year. About a week ago, my phone sporadically began opening the Google Play Store, with no input, to seemingly random app download pages. I haven't downloaded any new apps recently, but I've been using Kodi on it a lot, and have been using add-ons (yes I knew better) from unknown sources, but entirely from TVaddons.ag; mostly Exodous. Which, in my defense, is pretty widely used. Anyways, back to my question. I'm pretty certain I picked up some adware, but Lookout isn't flagging anything. I'm figuring whatever is causing the Play Store to pop up is either coded to open at random, do it's dirty, and then shut back down, or it's disguised itself as a system app, and that's why Lookout isn't finding anything. So, I've been going through and looking at and researching the system apps in my phone to see if there are any that don't check out when I came across this one labeled: com.qti.xdirect
    Since I can't find any info on it at all, I was hoping someone here might know what this is, and if it's legit, or at least have some thoughts on the overall problem with the adware. Thanks all!
    Try using Malwarebytes Mobile. Lookout isn't the best at detecting more advanced or deeply-rooted malicious software.
    badcat likes this.
    06-17-2017 02:31 AM
    I tried Malwarebytes, but it didn't find any malicious software. I went into Chrome yesterday, and deleted all the cache it was storing. There were a lot of cookies and whatnot from quite a few sites I've never been to along with links to click ads. Anyway, it hasn't opened the Play Store by itself again, yet, so I'm hoping it was something in Chrome and not my phone buried so deep that Lookout and Malwarebytes both ignored it. Anyway, getting back to the thread heading, I still haven't been able to find out what the com.qti.xdirect program is, and I'm still curious about it. Whether it's an actual system app or isn't, it's still good to know. So if anyone does know, I would appreciate it.
    Mr Mendelli likes this.
    06-18-2017 05:16 PM
    I'm glad that you were able to find out the culprit and fix the problem. But I had the exact same problem on a different phone and Malwarebytes was how I solved it. Just giving a shout-out to the solution that was offered, because it is a good one.
    Mr_Eman-man and badcat like this.
    06-18-2017 06:30 PM
    Oh, I absolutely agree! I use Malwarebytes on my PC, and it works great. If this happened on my PC, I'd have never had such a difficult time. I just dont know very much about the Android OS as far as what IS, or IS NOT a genuine system program, and its frustrating not being able to find any information on this file at all. I'm leaning more towards it being a legit program since the funky behaviour has stopped, which also means Malwarebytes did it's job as advertised. Apologies for not saying "thank you" for the sound advice earlier. I had twin toddlers fighting in the back seat, which makes proper etiquette and gratitude fall away. I do very much appreciate anyone who takes the time to offer me advice or solutions. If you or anyone else knows about the com.qti.xdirect file, or if someone would point me in the right direction, I would still like to know what process or app it's associated with. Thanks again! Cheers all!
    badcat likes this.
    06-18-2017 09:31 PM