Nougat gallery cannot display certain pictures properly

daveziffer

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
On my LG Phoenix 2, the Marshmallow Gallery always displayed pictures properly. But ever since the Nougat update, the Gallery fails to render a few of my pictures properly. The thumbnail suggests that the whole image is there, and initially the full photo displays at low resolution while Gallery renders the high resolution. But when the high resolution appears, some horizontal section of the image (a full-width rectangle starting at the bottom) is black, while the remaining part is shown correctly in high-res. There is nothing wrong with the stored imaged because Google Photos also fails to properly render the same images in the same way on my phone, whereas the same online images render perfectly using Chrome under Windows 10. A friend of mine suggested that Google broke their decompression algorithm in Nougat. Any ideas or word of a fix?

daveziffer

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I guess I am truly amazed that there isn't more outcry over this bug. The problem apparently isn't just with Nougat's "Gallery" app. It also fails displaying images using "Google Photos" and my guess is that all apps that display images under Nougat are crippled because they might all share the same defective common image rendering software that is part of Android's libraries. I am attaching another picture here. This one is of a street scene in Minneapolis. On my phone, the bottom 95% of the image is totally black by the time any image-rendering software displays it on my phone. As you can see here, it renders perfectly in hi-def anywhere else. Nicollet Gonna Make It.jpg

daveziffer

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Here is another image that fails to render under either Gallery or Google Photos on my phone. The bottom 45% or so of this one is black once the image finally renders in hi-def. These apps also fail to display certain movies; the movie plays for awhile and then stops and fails with a message like "file format not supported". I'd upload one of these except they're gigantic. With the movies, the failure is intermittent. All the failures of both movies and images that I've seen under Nougat have happened with photos that were shot under Marshmallow; no picture shot under Nougat has exhibited this problem yet. I don't know whether the problem is Android-wide (I doubt it otherwise there'd be much more noise), or whether it affects just LG phones, or just my phone model (LG Phoenix 2).Hopkins Spring Street Scene.jpg

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Back from vacation...

The photos as uploaded display fine on Android 6 using "gallery" on my ATT LG G4 and "piktures" by Diune.
All my photo apps on my win10 box like them. However, the smaller size and lack of EXIF data suggest the images have been edited or at least resized.

If you have multiple photo apps on Android 7 that are displaying problems, there is a good chance that there is a shared library involved. In this case, you might want to contact Google about it.