How can I change the sort order of contacts in Messages app?

rich_kissell

Jul 17, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S7 from Verizon on Android 7.0 Nougat. My contact app sorts just fine by last name. But the Messages app (use the yellow icon one) - sorts contacts by first name. I found no way to change the sort?? Is there a way to change the sort? This changed with Nougat update.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

Very simple. Open your Contacts. Tap on the 3 dots in the upper right corner. Tap on Settings. Then tap on Sort by and you'll be given the options of how you wanted sorted. Thanks.

jkb1043

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
Firedept10 -- this doesn't work. Even if the contacts list is set for last name first name, it doesn't populate the message app's contact list that way. In the message contacts list (click on the message app, then click on the orange icon with a pencil in it) the entire list is first name last name. Even worse, while in the message contact list app, there are not settings to change the order to last name first name. I have a galaxy s7, and this unwelcome change occurred after the most recent Android update -- G930VPS4BQG1 Version 7

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm more bothered by you even looking at the contacts list in the messaging app. Just start typing the name and it will come out. Or go to contacts, and swipe over the name of the person you want to text. Swipe to right to call and swipe to left to text.

EdiBobek

Dec 25, 2017
Visit site
the most important question is why there are two contacts list maintained ... 1 for all apps and 1 for messaging ??? also if we were not supposed to use the contacts list for messaging why is there a tab to click?

thunder_hog

Apr 19, 2018
Visit site
I'm more bothered by chans response. Rude. To answer your question:
Go to Settings, Apps, Contacts.
In the Contacts screen, you should see a gear (another settings icon).
Tap the icon and you'll see the Contacts Settings screen. You'll know what to do from there...

aralverson

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
That still doesn't work, it is just another work around to do the same thing that firedept10 explained above. I have the same issue. I already have my contacts set to sort by last name, but when looking at my contacts from the messages app, it still sorts by first name. Has android just not developed the programming because this doesn't seem like a common issue? It has always really bugged me that they sort differently because they are two separate apps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke