Need help with budget cel purchase ( future-proof as possible...)

rotech8

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
OK, I am not in a position to spend $500+ on a phone that's going to be obsolete in 2-3 years.

Right now I have a 2014 (?) Nexus 5, which I bought new "old stock' for about $200.
Perfectly happy with it, and I'd love to keep it another couple of years but they have announced it's only good for another year or so ( no Android 7 support, only another year of security patches).
--- Plus, I dropped it a couple of months ago,breaking a couple of the plastic back-tabs, and now the sim card intermittently stops working. ( have to power down and pop it out and back in again...)

Anyway, looking for similar 'bargain' phone, was hoping to learn from those who have gone before!

I do have these requirements:

must have minimum Android 6 and be guaranteed upgradeable to Android 7
must have built in Qi support ( wireless charging)
must be 'pocketable' ( no larger than 140x70 mm)
A big bonus: Metal or glass back ( no flimsy plastic cases, please ).

I'm not hopeful that all that can be had for $200, but could go a bit higher - maybe $350?
I probably would have SPLURGED on a Nexus 5X, except they REMOVED the Qi functionality(!!!)

I mainly use a phone as a CAMERA and handy wifi web device.
Very rarely make or take phone calls or text messages (I am on $20 a month "NO DATA" phone plan, and intend to stay that way...)

Anyway, that's my question, any and all tips and suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20