Is there a way to keep my android 7.0/Nougat alive full time other than keeping plugged in? I have a long running app that has to be constantly restarted.
    08-03-2017 03:51 PM
    Do you mean the screen timeout? If so, you could set it to Never.
    08-03-2017 04:08 PM
    PMbelodion, sorry - I should have added that to my q. No The app mentioned and several background apps (3rd party) are shut down by DOSE where others are not. I have placed all theses app within "Do Not Manage" area for battery management but DOSE still kills almost all these apps.
    belodion likes this.
    08-03-2017 04:34 PM
    Okay. I'm not an expert on that feature, not having a 7.0 device myself, so I'll move the thread to the Nougat forum.
    08-03-2017 05:28 PM
    Aside from being plugged in, I don't think there is any way to stop Doze.
    belodion likes this.
    08-03-2017 07:21 PM
    Well, I can think of a few ways of doing this, but they all require root access. Android is not designed to be a real time, server like, always on operating system... And Google has been working hard to eliminate the chance that an app will do just what you ask. So you need to get up to your elbows in Androids guts and make it yeild to your will.
    J Dubbs and Golfdriver97 like this.
    08-03-2017 09:49 PM
    I like that...bend it to your will :-)
    If marshmallow were human I would have long ago pounded it to a pulp ;-) I'm hoping nougat is a little more likeable.
    08-04-2017 04:39 AM
    I have placed all theses app within "Do Not Manage" area for battery management but DOSE still kills almost all these apps.
    Do you mean you went into something like the battery optimization screen like is available on the V20?
    Attachment 265176
    Attachment 265177

If you've done this and turned off optimizations for the apps in question, I'm wondering if it's not Doze that's killing them. Android will occasionally kill background apps so that it can initialize a new one. I.e. Killing a game in the background so your email client can initialize to sync, also in the background.

If this is the case, then there may still be little you can do about it. Some apps will give you the option of adding a notification in the pull down notification bar to prevent being killed. Otherwise, you'd need to root similar to what LeoRex said, and see if there's a way to make those apps a high priority service or whatever so Android knows to keep them active.

Just out of curiosity, which apps are you needing to keep running full time like this, and why? I know system monitoring apps like Gsam need this ability to record your full battery history (can't really do that if it's killed off), but those have all given me the option of adding a notification to prevent being killed. I've yet to see an app needing this ability that didn't give me an option like that.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    08-04-2017 07:38 AM
    "I'm wondering if it's not Doze that's killing them" That strikes a chord whereas in developer forum a post mentioned something related to having to restart the app periodically. The app does post a notification when it is started but does not prevent it from being killed. Btw, I couldn’t see the attachments. In the image that is included, on the bottom you can include app to be ignored.

08-04-2017 10:29 AM
    Well, I can think of a few ways of doing this, but they all require root access. Android is not designed to be a real time, server like, always on operating system... And Google has been working hard to eliminate the chance that an app will do just what you ask. So you need to get up to your elbows in Androids guts and make it yeild to your will.
    Are you suggesting that he root his Android 7? If so, what rootware app is available for Nougat?
    08-05-2017 01:12 AM
    Are you suggesting that he root his Android 7? If so, what rootware app is available for Nougat?
    Depends on the device if it can be rooted. Root apps/programs are getting more rare.
    08-05-2017 02:03 PM
    Depends on the device if it can be rooted. Root apps/programs are getting more rare.
    I ask because I have unconfirmed reports that Nougat runners can't be rooted; don't know if that's true or not.
    08-05-2017 02:49 PM
    I ask because I have unconfirmed reports that Nougat runners can't be rooted; don't know if that's true or not.
    The pixel can be rooted. There are a lot more steps, but it can.
    08-05-2017 03:55 PM
    The pixel can be rooted. There are a lot more steps, but it can.
    Interesting. The rooting of the Pixel; dues it involve using A PC or is there a rootware app (.apk) that can be installed and run in it as is done with Framaroot, Kingoroot, Towelroot, etc.?
    08-06-2017 04:24 AM
    Interesting. The rooting of the Pixel; dues it involve using A PC or is there a rootware app (.apk) that can be installed and run in it as is done with Framaroot, Kingoroot, Towelroot, etc.?
    I think PC only. One of the steps is flashing a custom boot image.
    08-06-2017 10:35 AM
    I think PC only. One of the steps is flashing a custom boot image.
    Yeah, that's how it is. But try and check out reviews of custom images...some of them can be twitchy. I would prefer to target a stock (factory) image for its stability.
    08-06-2017 02:19 PM
    Yeah, that's how it is. But try and check out reviews of custom images...some of them can be twitchy. I would prefer to target a stock (factory) image for its stability.
    But you can't root with a stock image.
    08-06-2017 07:24 PM
    But you can't root with a stock image.
    Oh...that's right, I completely forgot; that's why the custom images are available. Pardon my oversight, I got carried away by the rooting abilities of my Galaxy Note3 running stock 5.0 -forgetting that it can be rooted (and mine is). My oversight.
    08-07-2017 03:25 AM
    Rooting doesn't change the system image. It only patches the boot image so it won't freak out when it boots up.
    Fulani Filot likes this.
    08-07-2017 06:15 AM
    Rooting doesn't change the system image. It only patches the boot image so it won't freak out when it boots up.
    08-07-2017 07:13 AM