My Moto z play Droid has been auto upgrading over celluar. And used a lot of data. How do I turn off auto update and also make it so update can be downloaded over celluar. Thanks
    09-23-2017 10:59 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Auto-updating apps in the Play Store? Open the Play Store, tap Menu>Settings>Auto-Update Apps, and change that to "Do not auto-update apps" or "Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only."
    09-23-2017 11:33 PM
    The OP was having difficulty replying in the forums, so PM'd me this: "It's not apps that are auto updating. It's the system software. I dont have unlimited data. Is there a way you force system updates to WiFi only?"

I think this is dependent on the phone -- some will let you choose wi-fi, but there are also those that require downloads via mobile data. It might be worth asking your carrier if system update downloads count against your monthly data allowance. I found this Verizon thread from 2012 where the support person says that it does not count against your monthly data allowance, but I can't be sure that's still the case now.
    09-24-2017 06:49 PM
    alternatively, when at a WiFi location, turn mobile data off (or go into airplane mode and turn WiFi back on) and try and grab the update. hopefully that'll work and allow you to update the system software over WiFi.
    09-25-2017 01:41 PM
    I think it's time for a class action lawsuit. To many users have the same problem. You can't deny an update but when you do it, it messes up the phone. Guess what, then you are forced to get a new one since you don't want to deal with the frustration anymore. First it was the "can't remove the battery" so the NSA can always listen and always know where you are even if your phone is off. Now you can't even enjoy your phone the way it is because they force an update. Even if it don't "F" up the phone or some apps, it still takes hours getting it back to where it was. Any law firms out there ready for a class action lawsuit. Take the case, I'm sure you will have thousands sign up.
    10-20-2017 07:07 PM
    My Moto z play Droid has been auto upgrading over celluar. And used a lot of data. How do I turn off auto update and also make it so update can be downloaded over celluar. Thanks
    Just a thought. Do you have the Developer Options enabled? If so, after Nougat the 'automatic system updates' option is enabled by default in some phones. If that's your case make sure it's disabled.
    10-20-2017 07:23 PM
    This.

10-20-2017 07:24 PM