Just switched from Windows Phone to Android. Never had a droid before, so trying to work a few things out. All my contacts have been saved to Windows, and now I need them on my new phone.

I'd like to know how best to do this? Is there an app or better way?
    09-24-2017 08:56 AM
    Henry knows all your contacts stored? If they're still going out with, then I'd imagine just export them as a CSV file to your Gmail account import them into your Gmail account and then auto sync to your new Android device . Try that out. Hopefully that will work. That'll work even if you have an iPhone and I iTunes.
    09-24-2017 09:03 AM
    Either that, or download Outlook, go into settings, click on your Microsoft email, then click "Sync contacts."
    09-24-2017 09:06 AM
    I just did the csv method. lumia 1020 to Nokia 6.
    Only issue was that the pics I saved for people's profiles didn't transfer?
    Very frustrating that it is not as easy as on the lumia which automatically pulls contacts from all email accounts added. Although from what I read the issue seems to be with MS?
    09-25-2017 06:29 AM
    I just did the csv method. lumia 1020 to Nokia 6.
    Only issue was that the pics I saved for people's profiles didn't transfer?
    Very frustrating that it is not as easy as on the lumia which automatically pulls contacts from all email accounts added. Although from what I read the issue seems to be with MS?
    Add your Microsoft email to Android. It can pull contacts from that. Csv doesn't store pictures AFAIK. Or use the Outlook app.
    09-25-2017 06:41 AM
    I've just done this as well - Windows Phone to Nokia 8. The way I did it was go into my Google Account (and its associated Gmail) --> clicked on the Contacts drop down --> selected Import --> Outlook.

This appeared to work well. I also downloaded Outlook to use for email and calendar functions. However, when I checked the "sync" option I ended up with two of each contact. So I've turned it off for now.

Is there a way to merge identical contacts like this?

Also mystified by where Android gets the contact picture. The Windows Phone would take them from email or from Facebook (and possibly other places). A few of the Android imported contacts had photos but don't appear to be from either of those places.

Is there a way to get contact photos from (e.g.) Facebook, etc?
    09-25-2017 07:32 AM
    I've just done this as well - Windows Phone to Nokia 8. The way I did it was go into my Google Account (and its associated Gmail) --> clicked on the Contacts drop down --> selected Import --> Outlook.

This appeared to work well. I also downloaded Outlook to use for email and calendar functions. However, when I checked the "sync" option I ended up with two of each contact. So I've turned it off for now.

Is there a way to merge identical contacts like this?

Also mystified by where Android gets the contact picture. The Windows Phone would take them from email or from Facebook (and possibly other places). A few of the Android imported contacts had photos but don't appear to be from either of those places.

Is there a way to get contact photos from (e.g.) Facebook, etc?
    Ideally you should have used only one source. Now you have two sources, Gmail and Outlook.com, for similar contacts. The problem now is you have to edit two contacts even if they are merged, since when merging they'll appear as one entry, but when editing, there will be separate tabs for Google and Outlook. Choose one, then delete the rest.

Anyway if you plan on keeping both for whatever reason, just open Contacts>Menu>Settings>Merge Duplicates.
    09-25-2017 07:50 AM
    Ideally you should have used only one source. Now you have two sources, Gmail and Outlook.com, for similar contacts. The problem now is you have to edit two contacts even if they are merged, since when merging they'll appear as one entry, but when editing, there will be separate tabs for Google and Outlook. Choose one, then delete the rest.

Anyway if you plan on keeping both for whatever reason, just open Contacts>Menu>Settings>Merge Duplicates.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I may end up deleting the Google one as it was just a snapshot of Outlook (which I use for day to day email).
    09-25-2017 08:34 AM