On my previous phone, a Moto x, I disabled Google Play Music in order to stop my car from defaulting to that app instead of my preferred one whenever I connected via Bluetooth. On my new phone, a G5, even though Google Play Music has been disabled, it still plays! Even weirder, I can't even find it in the list of running apps, so I have no idea what's actually playing the music. If I use a file manager to select a music file the correct app plays it. And if while Google Play Music is playing I hit the play button on my chosen app then my chosen app will override Google Play. So it's really only a hassle, but I'd sure like to know what's going on and how to stop it.
    09-27-2017 04:32 PM
    enable and then re-disable it.
    09-27-2017 05:03 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! You're certain it's Google Play Music, and not the stock Music app (from LG)?
    09-27-2017 05:38 PM
    B. Diddy - I'm not certain it's Google Play, it could be the stock music app (lenovo). But if it is that, then where do I find it to disable it. It's not listed under apps. Just did a little more internet sleuthing, and at least on the 4G there was an exchange that says that Motorola did not supply a stock music app because of the presence of Google's. Doesn't mean that something changed for 5G, but it does imply it.

Jason - I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

Thanx to both of you for the responses.

Update. I re-enabled Google Play, and under app settings/ Permissions I denied it access to storage, and now it can't play anything. I'll get back to you, when I test it in the car tomorrow.
    09-30-2017 09:28 PM
    To find out what music app is playing, tap the Recent Apps button while the music is playing. Then look at the heading for the music tab. Does it say "Google Play Music" or just "Music"?

You might not see it in the Settings>Apps menu if it's a preinstalled system app. Go to Settings>Apps​, tap Menu>Show System, and look for Music again.
    10-01-2017 12:28 AM
    I'm pretty sure it is Google Play, as now that I've done the permissions thing it seems to have stopped playback. Unfortunately, the car still defaults to Google Play, and I see Google's track in the display, but at least it doesn't play. I still don't know how to get it to actually default to the app I've chosen. That would make life more convenient. I'm surprised that no one else seems to have this problem. I can't believe that everyone is using Google.
    I'm ok with doing root sorts of things: is it possible for me to delete Google Play Music entirely?
    10-02-2017 11:44 AM
    There are lots of threads asking how to change the default music app that starts up with Bluetooth in a car, and I'm not sure if there are any good solutions. Try this app: Bluetooth connect & Play
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-02-2017 09:45 PM
    I have an LG device, albeit the V20, but in my car when I use Bluetooth, whatever music app I last used will open. So if I'm using Spotify last, Spotify will open rather than Google Play Music (and vice versa).
    10-02-2017 10:04 PM
    If all that fails, check your manual or call the dealer. It could depend on which music app the car maker decided to have as default. There might be a list of choices for default in the manual, too which you have to hunt for.

Did you buy the car new? How old is it?

The other half's 3 yr old used car came with a subscription to Spotify, which was the default, and he couldn't stop them from pestering to pay for it or an update. He didn't want it. The default phone for the car seems to be any current smartphone. I managed to pair his flip, and I just disable Bluetooth in mine. It involved a lot of reading and experimenting.
    10-04-2017 08:02 AM