I've had the Moto Z Play for a year or so, and have no plans to change due to the insane battery life.

However, in the last month or so, I've noticed that the battery drops from 100% to the low 90's% (maybe 5-6%ph) quite quickly with my normal weekday off-the-charger usage. It doesn't really effect anything long term, as, after this initial drop, it goes back to the usual rate, and I still get 17hrs with 5-6hrs SOT and 30-40% battery left. I've had some days where I've had over 10hrs SOT and it's not died before bedtime...

Still, I was thinking as to the cause of this all of a sudden... a while ago, some apps started misbehaving, so I took to clearing my phone cache as a matter of course every night before plugging in. This would usually free up anything from 40mb to 150mb dependent on what I had been dong that day (not that my phone memory is near full or anything).

Could this be the cause, due to the phone having to start from scratch, so to speak, every morning, and consuming more juice because of this? If so, would this not settle down whilst it was charging overnight anyway, or would the extra usage only kick-in once I unplug and start using the phone again?

It's no biggie, but I'm interested nevertheless. I know some friends who literally never close apps or clear anything - I just like to keep things a little cleaner I suppose, but maybe there's no need and, in fact, the initial unusual battery drain is due to this habit?

11-08-2017 06:33 AM
    Clearing the cache for all apps may be a bit of overkill. They store data to be able to launch and function more efficiently. If you have a couple of apps that are a problem, perhaps just clear the cache for those and see if it impacts you battery less.

Though with your usage and how much battery life you have left at the end of the day, I wouldn't worry about it if I were in your shoes.

FWIW, with one or two specific exceptions, I haven't cleared the cache on my s8+ since I set it up.
    Stwutter and J Dubbs like this.
    11-08-2017 11:34 PM