Android restore/setup issues - new Galaxy S7 does not see old device backup

gem1930

Nov 24, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to restore my settings and data to a new Galaxy S7, as my OnePlus 3 was stolen a few days ago.

I had the automatic Android backup service switched on on my OP3, to back up to my Google account, and I can see that backup listed when I go into Google Drive > Backups, with date 21/11/17.

However when setting up the new S7 and signing in with my Google account, and choosing which device to restore from, the OnePlus3 wasn't listed. I did see a backup listed for an old Galaxy S4 which I used for one day while waiting for my new S7 to arrive.

I am following these instructions exactly: https://www.androidcentral.com/how-restore-your-apps-and-settings-new-android-phone.
It is at step 14 that I don't see my OP3 listed in the devices to restore from.

I even tried going into Google Drive > Backups and deleting the backup for the S4 (as there was nothing important stored there anyway), so that when setting up the new S7 it might automatically 'default' to the OP3 backup, but no luck, now there are no backups to choose from. It just doesn't seem to recognise/see the OP3 backup.

I've also tried a software update followed by a factory reset on the S7, and tried the setup again. Same issue.

The S7 is running Android 7.0.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way around this, to somehow force it to choose the OP3 backup to restore from?

Dano1200r

Nov 26, 2017
Visit site
Try to remember your Samsung account details. Unless you turned it off, you may find everything there by signing in on your new device.

SumiV

Dec 9, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue going from Nexus 5X to OnePlus 5T. The new phone does not find the online backup, even though it is present in Google Drive. I also tried setting up the new phone with NFC and BT through the standard options that Android provides when setting up a new device, but the new phone keeps telling me there is no backup on the old phone. The OnePlus customer support people were useless. I thought it might be due to the backup being a newer Android version (8) than the new phone (7), but seeing that you have the same issue that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz