Hi all,

I recently moved from W10M to Android. I own a Xiaomi Mi A1 and I noticed that the number of missed calls appear on the phone icon and I also get a notification on the notification tray. But, regarding sms, I only get the notifications on the tray and not the number of new sms on the message app icon.

Is this normal? Will it be improved on the new Android version (oreo)?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm kinda figuring out this new world.

Thanks in advance.
    12-02-2017 09:00 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unread count badges are a feature that manufacturers might add to the basic Android interface -- it's not a native Android feature. Certain manufacturers will only have a badge for a few icons. Are you using the stock Messaging app, or a 3rd party one?

If you want unread count badges on any app that's giving you a notification, try installing an alternate launcher like Nova Launcher, as well as its add-on app TeslaUnread.
    Laura Knotek and Joao Silva2 like this.
    12-02-2017 06:14 PM
    Hi,

Thank you for your explanation. Yes, I'm using stock messaging app. It's not that I really want count badges but it's more for a matter of coherence once the stock phone app shows the count badged on missed calls.

Regards
    12-02-2017 08:13 PM
    Look through all of the phone's system settings as well -- there might be an option to turn on the badge for individual apps. I'm not familiar with your phone, so I'm not sure where in the system settings it might be.
    Joao Silva2 likes this.
    12-02-2017 08:24 PM
    Okay I just installed Nova Launcher and set the "Notification Badges" to numeric. I already have Tesla Unread installed. It still is not reading them and putting a notification up in the corner of the message app. Is there more settings in Nova that I need to do for it to read the unread messages and put a number up?
    Btw...I have an s8 with Oreo running. Samsung technician messed my phone up with remote control and now the badges aren't working. Everything was checked, so I installed Nova to try a workaround. Still nothing.
    03-16-2018 02:01 PM