Essential Ph-1 with Android 7.1.1 running Nova launcher. Trying to get badges for notifications on applications like Facebook/messenger. Nova Launcher is 5.5.1

SOLVED - Thank you. I had Nova Prime from another phone apparently and didn't realize it.

Nova Prime + TeslaUnread - Grant permissions for Tesla/Nova. Select which apps you want to have notifications through Tesla. Go into Nova Settings and select 'Numeric." Works like a charm.
    12-11-2017 08:28 AM
    You can enable them in Nova settings - notification badges. There are different options, but for the numeric badges you need to install the Tesla Unread plugin (only available for the Nova Prime version).
    12-11-2017 08:32 AM
    Essential Ph-1 with Android 7.1.1 running Nova launcher. Trying to get badges for notifications on applications like Facebook/messenger. Nova Launcher is 5.5.1
    FYI, it does not work with all apps. I have Nova and Tesla Unread installed on my Moto Z2 Play, and still cannot get the badging to work on the Moto default mail app.

I've emailed TeslaCoil support about a month ago, no response.
    12-11-2017 10:58 AM
    FYI, it does not work with all apps. I have Nova and Tesla Unread installed on my Moto Z2 Play, and still cannot get the badging to work on the Moto default mail app.

I've emailed TeslaCoil support about a month ago, no response.
    Yeah, I've read some reports about this problem. I prefer the dynamic badges, I find them nicer and work great on folders.
    12-11-2017 11:02 AM
    Yeah, I've read some reports about this problem. I prefer the dynamic badges, I find them nicer and work great on folders.
    What "dynamic badges"?
    12-11-2017 11:20 AM
    What "dynamic badges"?
    Here.

How to get app badges with 7.1.1 and Nova Launcher-screenshot_20171211-142144.png
    12-11-2017 11:22 AM
    Here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20171211-142144.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	275566
    Ah, didn't notice that in my setup. Trying it now, no change for the email client. And now other items are being badged that shouldn't be per my Nova settings.
    12-11-2017 11:33 AM
    Ah, didn't notice that in my setup. Trying it now, no change for the email client. And now other items are being badged that shouldn't be per my Nova settings.
    Not sure what you mean. About the email app, I only use Gmail and notifications work fine.
    12-11-2017 11:38 AM
    Not sure what you mean. About the email app, I only use Gmail and notifications work fine.
    The native email app on Motorola phones. Badging the app icon does not work with Nova Launcher, even with Tesla Unread installed and configured.

I don't like the GMail app as it refuses to start on my email account, it always starts on the GMail account, that I do not use for email.
    12-11-2017 11:52 AM
    The native email app on Motorola phones. Badging the app icon does not work with Nova Launcher, even with Tesla Unread installed and configured.

I don't like the GMail app as it refuses to start on my email account, it always starts on the GMail account, that I do not use for email.
    Oh, I see. Not forcing you to use Gmail, but there is a couple of tricks you could try with Nova. Long press an empty spot on your home screen - select 'Widgets' - scroll down until you find Gmail - drag 'Gmail label' to the screen - select account - select label. This way you can decide which account and label/folder will be opened.

A similar shortcut can be created on an existing icon using the 'Swipe up action' when you edit it.
    12-11-2017 11:59 AM
    And my apologies to @OOHJeeper for hijacking the thread.
    12-11-2017 12:00 PM
    And my apologies to @OOHJeeper for hijacking the thread.
    If anyone hijacked it, it was me.
    12-11-2017 12:38 PM
    Oh, I see. Not forcing you to use Gmail, but there is a couple of tricks you could try with Nova. Long press an empty spot on your home screen - select 'Widgets' - scroll down until you find Gmail - drag 'Gmail label' to the screen - select account - select label. This way you can decide which account and label/folder will be opened.

A similar shortcut can be created on an existing icon using the 'Swipe up action' when you edit it.
    Hmm... The Label icon is not badging. The GMail app icon is after selecting the mail account in the badging settings, and now launches the correct mail account.

Rebooted the device, the app icon still opens the correct account, but lost the badging until I went into the Tesla settings and re-set the account.

I may continue to use the GMail app anyway, as long as it opens on the correct account.
    12-11-2017 12:48 PM
    You're not going to hurt my feelings hahaha. I come back to these threads for more info anyway. I'm trying to move away from Google all together (hard to do on a android) so Gmail will be gone soon. Good to know that some apps aren't compatible with certain launchers.
    12-13-2017 09:19 AM
    You're not going to hurt my feelings hahaha. I come back to these threads for more info anyway. I'm trying to move away from Google all together (hard to do on a android) so Gmail will be gone soon. Good to know that some apps aren't compatible with certain launchers.
    The only way you can move away from Google is to change to another OS. Which at this point means iOS is your only alternative.
    12-13-2017 09:39 AM
    Samsung Email works fine. You could look into Bluemail or Aqua mail.
    12-13-2017 09:46 AM