Nougat HCI Readability, how do I improve?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have normal vision. I've 'up graded' my Galaxy J5 (2016) with Nougat and find much of the text on screen unreadable. Either due to text size, contrast with the background or general glare from the screen.
These issues were not present in my previous Android version.
There appears to be no way to globally alter backgrounds/text colours/font sizes. Please put me right if that's not the case. If I'm right how do I rollback the 'up grade' to ensure basic handset useability?
Thank you for your time... Peter

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it because of the predominance of white backgrounds for text? Can you show us screenshots of what you mean? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html. You'll have to register on this forum first. https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...in-android-central-community.html#post3754828

There's no simple way to roll back an update. You'd have to use Odin to flash the previous firmware: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

Pete Ellinger

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hello B Dibby,

Summary

1) Fonts have to be readable
2) Screens shouldn't cause eye strain
3) HCI should be usable by all users
4) Access points to data/landing pages should be configurable by users

Detail

White backgrounds, yes but also size of text on a mobile phone screen and how the HCI works...

For instance the on screen keyboard is frankly laughable. The 'upper case' characters literally look like dark grains of salt to me. Anyone with a smaller screen might not even notice these characters.

The calendar, again too much white glare. Also, if my working day is from, say 7AM to 10PM, why can't I hide those hours I'm not interested in and get a better view of those hours I do want to see every time I open the app?

Unlocking the phone using a PIN, why is the numeric keypad squashed into the bottom half of the screen, some people have large stubby finger. Don't the developers realise that HCI has a human element too!

Contacts and Phone. When I open this app I am directed to a 'Create' followed by 'Me' (!!!), then 'Favourites'. If I want to mainly contact customers grouped into various locations I have to go through a Menu, accessed via a 'vertical ellipsis' 10 times smaller than the flint in a Zippo lighter. There's no possibility of determining how I access my data!

Clock, again way, way too much white glare. Alarm, stupidly short descriptor allowed. Almost back to the 8.3 file style of naming! I thought this rubbish was long gone but no, here we go again. Please remember memory/processing power is cheap!

Calculator, too much white glare again. No scientific option. Landscape format change doesn't work correctly.

I could go on and on.

FYI.

I used to be employed by a Blue Chip company working with programmers to produce effective applications. If the above mentioned apps were presented to me for review / sign off I would have rejected them until such time as they were usable. Questions about the personnel and their performance would also have been fed back through the management structure affecting remuneration in the coming periods.

Hope that is good feedback to someone.

Regards... Peter

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech