Android 7.1.2 - Prevent apps from using mobile data

furzedo

Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Android, so please bear with me if I'm asking something stupid.

I recently bought a Nokia 6 running Android 7.1.2. I also have a pre-paid line (calls + data) in which I can receive unlimited calls, but I'm charged $1 everyday that I make a call or connect to their mobile data network. The carrier is Optus Australia. I basically use this line to receive calls... I rarely use it to make calls or connect to the mobile data network (I always prefer a wi-fi network).

Everything is working fine, except that since I started to use this phone I see that my pre-paid credits started to be randomly consumed even though I made no attempt to call someone or use mobile data. This is driving me crazy.

I've already tried a number of alternatives to completely block all apps in that phone to use mobile data, but something is still making connections and consuming my credits.

Here is a list of what I have already tried:

- Mobile data always set to off. I'm the only one using this phone, so I can guarantee this option only switched on when I really need to use mobile data

- Tried Data Saver (with no exceptions made to any app)

- Went through all apps that once used mobile data (option "Mobile Data Usage") and made sure all listed apps had the option "Background data" switched to off

- Installed NetGuard, made sure it was switched on and turned off mobile data to absolutely all installed apps (including the ones that come with the base Android installation)

- Went through the settings of all apps I have installed in that phone, trying to identify hidden options that would allow them to make connections to the mobile data

- Called the network carrier and asked them to block any mobile data request in my phone line and stop charging me, but they say it is not possible in my plan (how convenient!)

The only thing that apparently worked was leaving the phone on airplane mode. However, this obviously blocked incoming calls, which is not good.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem? Or at least show me how to detect which app is making those unwanted connections (I will be more than happy to uninstall it).

Thanks!

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like you have gone through the device thoroughly to stop the data usage.
I have Adguard in my phones and all things are blocked by the firewall that I don't want using data. This positively blocks all selected apps and I can choose to allow WiFi only or block them outright.
This could be one option..

jrsenna

Feb 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi. Android 5.1.1 here. Same problem. I think the reason is there is ONE application for which there is no option of turning data off, and that is "Android OS". Go to Settings - Data Usage, choose the ear , and scroll down the "By application" list. The first one is "Android OS". Click on it, no option to "Restrict BAckground Data". But if you click in any other application in this list, there is this option.
The Fox is guarding the henhouse. Fortunately my carrier here in Brazil accepted, through their Call Center, to disable data. I can call them again and enable it if I need. Far from perfect. It can only be done by talking to a person in the call center, and it takes tens of minutes of going through all kind of spoken menus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon