Hi everyone,

I keep having issues with Android that I've never, and I mean NEVER, experienced with iOS before, and the last in this long list that's getting longer and longer is that Google Play Services crashed after an app update, and keeps crashing, and I get this warning icon popping up in my notification area, and nothing seems to be working anymore on the Google Play Store front.

My phone is currently downloading a new version of the Google Play Store Help (no that it ever was of any... Help...), and I just got another dialog box telling me that Google Play Services had crashed, with the only option being to stop the application...

I restored my phone to factory settings a few days ago because everything was frozen and the phone was unusable. I'm not going down that route again.

I might keep the phone for USB tethering only, and buy myself an iPhone that works...

Ideas, anyone?
    03-14-2018 04:03 AM
    I might keep the phone for USB tethering only, and buy myself an iPhone that works...

Ideas, anyone?
    See, THAT’S a very good idea
    03-14-2018 06:20 AM
    Ha ha! I might do that, though I'm not a quitter at heart, and I'm really trying to wrap my head around Android.

Right now, though, I'm struggling, more than I did when I "graduated" from my trusted Nokia running Symbian to my first iPhone 4, in 2011.

More seriously, I still have this impression that Android is a constant work in progress, more so than iOS ever was; I understand how Google must work wonders to make its core mobile OS available and usable by a great number of manufacturers, using a myriad of different platforms and hardware configurations, a bit like Microsoft does with Windows, as opposed to Apple having only its own hardware to make either iOS or macOS compatible with.

Still, that kind of erratic behavior, added to the fact that some services can be stopped but not deactivated, makes for a lot of confusion on my part.

FWIW, I can use Google Play Store again, until the next time, but I'm tired of having to clear caches and restart my phone every day, if not several times a day, for it to work properly.

Again, FWIW, I once went two full months between reboots with my iPhone 6, and I would probably could have gone longer, had it not been for a software update...

USB tethering works fine, by the way. At least, I've got that...
    03-14-2018 09:01 AM
    I can't update the latest version of google play on my android, I downloaded an apk google play here but I don't know how to install, can someone help me?
    03-14-2018 07:16 PM
    @jamesrox: if Google Play Store is still working on your phone, just tap the .apk file, and you'll be asked what to use to open it. Choose Packet Opening Application (or some such thing: my phone's in French), and after a couple minutes, your application will be ready to use.

You may have to go into Developers Options to terminate the Google Play Store process first, though, but that's not certain.
    03-15-2018 02:14 AM
    Hi everyone,

I keep having issues with Android that I've never, and I mean NEVER, experienced with iOS before, and the last in this long list that's getting longer and longer is that Google Play Services crashed after an app update, and keeps crashing, and I get this warning icon popping up in my notification area, and nothing seems to be working anymore on the Google Play Store front.

My phone is currently downloading a new version of the Google Play Store Help (no that it ever was of any... Help...), and I just got another dialog box telling me that Google Play Services had crashed, with the only option being to stop the application...

I restored my phone to factory settings a few days ago because everything was frozen and the phone was unusable. I'm not going down that route again.

Ideas, anyone?
    Part of the problem might be that you picked up a cheaper, very low end Android phone. I know you've been struggling with your Leagoo(?) since you got it. I've owned mid-range to higher end Android phones and have never had the issues you've been struggling with. Just like iPhones, you pay more and you're going to have a better experience.

I've never been a fan of buying super cheap Android's, even though I can, because I want to have a better Android experience. Plus as you found out I don't trust the security of low budget Chinese Android phones :-(
    03-25-2018 02:18 PM
    I kind of agree with you on that, but the phone itself performs the way it's supposed to, given its price tag and specs: it's reasonably fast, no freezes or hangs too noticeable to be called "problems", and unless you think Android integration on an x86 platform and/or on a brand-new SoC (the CPU in the Leagoo T5c falls in both categories) is a problem in and of itself, then you could say I'm rather satisfied with the hardware.

Not so much with the OS and some of its so-called features: to not be able to enable USB tethering once and for all makes no sense at all, if you ask me; for WiFi hotspots, OK, because anyone could piggyback on your connection without you knowing it, regardless of the level of security you've set for it, but in USB mode...?

This, I've learned from hours of hard research on the Internet, is called a feature in Android (at least in Nougat), not a bug. Ditto the fact that when you play your music in Shuffle mode, some songs will get played several times, and others will be completely ignored by the Music Player app...

Or the fact that your WiFi hotspot will go inactive after a certain number of minutes, regardless of you actually using the connection...

I'm serious here: I'm at a point where bridging my iPhone 6 (a rental, that I'd like to return to the carrier rather than keep it and keep paying for it every month...) cat. 4 4G connection from my Windows 10 laptop to my MacBook Pro via Ethernet gets me a better user experience than plugging the cat. 6 4G Droid in a USB port on the Mac, all the while watching TV on the PC though a dedicated app...

Right now, I have two distinct networks: the iPhone supplying the PC, and the Leagoo connected to the Mac, and so far, so good, but I know from past experience that the USB connection comes and goes on the Droid, and it's not a matter of bad cable or bad port: if I turn it off, then on again, on the Droid, it gets back to normal. Until the next time...

Seriously, when you put all the eye-candy aside, iOS feels more finished, more user-centric than Android; I don't have the money to invest in a new iPhone, and I'd really like a dual-SIM phone, of which, as we all know, Apple doesn't want to hear about, so I'll stick with my Leagoo for the time being, but, to put it like Yoda:

"Disappointed, I am... Mmmmm..."
    03-26-2018 05:58 AM