Replaced SD card, now unusable as internal storage

Baz2

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
I have a Lenovo tab 4 10 Plus but I think this is an Android issue. It runs v7.1.1.

I installed an SD card a few weeks ago to increase internal storage, but it suddenly failed during use. System requested me to re-insert it, but no luck. Settings / Storage was not recognizing the SD card at all .

I exchanged it for a new one (shop agreed it was faulty and said it was a very rare occurrence), which I've now installed, also as shared storage. Problem is that the system now isn't allowing me to download anything to the device, or create documents on it. Eg Word won't let me save to "This Device".

The File Manager app shows no files in Downloads or Documents, and shows the error message "Failed to enter directory . Failed to create." when I click on either directory. Personal Space shows as "0 KB available out of 0 KB".

The SD card does show in Settings, but with only Apps (one newly installed) and Cached Data (0 kb).

As a partial workaround, I've reformatted the card as portable storage, which at least lets me download files from websites, but it's not a complete solution; eg I can't download podcasts from apps.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Put it in a pc. Does it also show 0kb of storage? Sounds like another bad card if it's not showing usable space on a pc card reader. What brand, model and storage size are you trying to use?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...shop agreed it was faulty and said it was a very rare occurrence.

It'd actually not that rare for SD cards to be corrupted. Uncommon, yes, but not rare. They are also not designed for the near constant read/writing that happens with Android and how apps are designed, which leads to increase in failure rates when SD cards are formatted as adoptable storage.

Unless there is a dire need, you're best to leave it formatted as external storage and leave your apps on the internal storage. If you do insist on formatting as adoptable storage, then make sure to keep very thorough backups for when the next SD card fails.

Baz2

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
It's a Kingston 16 GB card.

Sadly I don't have a PC that takes an SD card. I suspect it's OK though, as it's been reformatted a couple of times and shows sensible metadata in Settings. Also, files can be downloaded to it if I get the chance to choose (when in external storage mode) and read without any problems.

My take (totally uninformed) is that when the original card was formatted for internal storage, Android decided that certain filetypes would go to it as a default. It can't now find that card as it's been replaced (is there some sort of code that uniquely identifies the card?) so is unable to save those filetypes.

Problem with keeping things as they are (formatted as portable) is that one of the main things I use the tablet for is to download podcasts. BBC iPlayer Radio / Sounds both fail when asked to download. They worked fine with the original card.

I'm tempted to restore factory settings (after saving everything of course).

AMP76

Jun 30, 2019
Visit site
I have exactly the same problem. Had a SanDisk 128gb micro SD working perfectly happily as non-portable storage for over a year and then it crashed two weeks ago. Didn't want to waste money buying another one if this was going to happen again, so have used the SanDisk 16gb card that was in my old phone. Have formatted it as internal storage and was happy to see that I could download apps to it again. However, now I can't download anything else! Tried downloading and saving something simple like pictures from a website, but that says the SD card isn't found. I've tried looking in all the file managers I have and none of them are showing any form of storage (SD or otherwise) even though Settings Storage clearly shows it.

It seems too much of a coincidence for it to be the SD cards so, if you manage to find a solution, I'd be grateful for any advice.

On another note, I've heard people saying they've managed to upgrade to Oreo on their Tab 4 10s but mine says there are no updates available. I wonder if that might be something to do with it.

Baz2

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
In the end I just restored factory settings, installed the good SD card and re-installed all the apps (fortunately nothing I'd paid for). Everything is fine now. I think there should have been a better solution though!

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Have formatted it as internal storage and was happy to see that I could download apps to it again. However, now I can't download anything else! Tried downloading and saving something simple like pictures from a website, but that says the SD card isn't found. I've tried looking in all the file managers I have and none of them are showing any form of storage (SD or otherwise) even though Settings Storage clearly shows it.

When the SD card is formatted as internal storage, there is no more separation between internal and external storage; there is just "storage". The user does not get to pick which "drive" things are stored on because there is now only one "storage" device.

One of the evil parts to this feature is that not all phone makers get it right.

Note: Google has been slowly removing this feature. I am expecting it to be completely removed in Android 9.

AMP76

Jun 30, 2019
Visit site
Hi Maniac Joe,

The point is that all file manager apps are showing no storage whatsoever - not even the tablet's own 16gb! Previously, these apps had no problem seeing the SD card and (as you rightly say) would show the card's storage capacity combined with the device's storage. Now, although settings storage shows it's there (and I can use it to download apps), I am no longer able to download or save anything else onto it - not even images from a website page.

I think I shall have to give up and follow Baz's example in trying to restore the tablet's factory settings, if I can work out how to do it.

Thanks for all advice.

Baz2

Jan 3, 2019
Visit site
AMP76: Settings / Personal / Backup & reset

Maniac Joe: True there is "just storage" as you say, but the Android OS must have some means of deciding whether new data goes on the card. So might it be by filetype?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae