A number of apps stopped working after phone reset

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi!
I have a Samsung-SM-J727A (Android ver. 7.0). For some unknown reason (really, not provoked!), it went to a system reset. After going through the restore process (most of the apps and settings were successfully restored and working), there are a number of apps that refuse to function. I've tried reinstalling them, rebooting the phone, with no success. Apart from this problem, the phone seems to be working fine after the restore process. Please, advice any steps to take towards the solution of this problem. Thanks. wp

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which apps? Are you getting error messages when you try to open them? Were any of those apps "Moved to SD"?

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy
Thanks for answering! The message in all of the apps is: <application> has stopped. Then, Restart app. Then, when I restart it the message is <application> keeps stopping. Close app. This problem occurs among others in home automation apps like Amazon Alexa, Kevo, Lutron. I also experience the problem with Amazon Shopping, Amazon Kindle, the Gmail app, XE Currency app, LabCorpPatient app, etc. I haven't tested the problem in all my apps. The message occurs when I try to open them. None of the apps reside on SD card. All are in internal storage, I understand. Thanks for any help you provide.

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy:

Thanks for the suggestion above. Tried it (wiping the cache), but it didn't solve the problem. So I'm still open for suggestions. Thanks again.

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy:

Thanks for answering. I read your suggestion, but I took it with some trepidation. Reason being: (1) I am not familiar enough with the Android OS to feel comfortable playing with the internals of the OS (I assume the firmware has to do with the OS kernel), (2) the applications you suggest to reinstall the firmware are unknown to me, (3) the problem occurs on the only phone I have. If I ruin it because of an ignorant mistake, I'm %$&#. If there are other alternatives to investigate the problem to look for a solution, I would try them first. Otherwise, I would need to be tutored to do this thing, if this is possible. I have both Windows and Linux machines to install the apps if there is no choice to avoid the re-installation of the firmware. Thanks again.

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy:

Sorry for my lack of understanding. I was able to put the phone in Safe Mode and after booting, the majority of the apps are disabled. The ones that are not, some work OK and others exhibit the problem that I explained at the beginning. For example, Google chrome works but Gmail doesn't. DirectTV and myATT don't work either, but Google Play music works. Please advise any tests I should do to troubleshoot the phone while on safe mode. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Right, so Safe Mode temporarily disables any 3rd party app that wasn't preinstalled on the phone. This helps you narrow down if a problem is due to something you installed or due to the system. The fact that some preinstalled apps like Gmail are still having problems in Safe Mode still suggests a problem with the firmware. Sorry, but the only other next step I can suggest at this time would be to reinstall the firmware, as previously suggested.

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy:

OK. Per your comments, I will have to enter into unknown territory. Before I do this, let me ask: Will the apps suggested to update the firmware work the same for phones that are connected either to ATT or T-Mobile? Mine is connected to ATT. After reading about the apps, it seems to me that SmartSwitch is easier to understand, but you know better. I will follow your advise. As I told you before, I need to do this the safest way possible. Later, I will ask you some specifics about the SmartSwitch app. Thank you for your patience.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I've never had to use Smart Switch myself, since I haven't had a Samsung phone. Just make sure you back up all of your important data first.

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
B. Diddy:

I installed the latest version of SmartSwitch (on the pc and on the phone) and with it, I was able to do a complete backup of my phone, but the only option that I get for emergency recovery of the software is using a recovery code, which I don't know what it is. If somebody in this forum would know about this and could help to solve this problem, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Emergency software bring u to the latest of your version , you should also go in settings of smartswitch and go preference check software update that will it will let you know when ones available
B. Diddy:

I installed the latest version of SmartSwitch (on the pc and on the phone) and with it, I was able to do a complete backup of my phone, but the only option that I get for emergency recovery of the software is using a recovery code, which I don't know what it is. If somebody in this forum would know about this and could help to solve this problem, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
mustang7757:

Thanks for answering. The SmartSwitch Preferences (no settings) show a tab for Software Update, but it doesn't tell you if there is any available. On the other hand, it seems that my Android system is at fault. I would like to have a way to re-install the existing version again. Just want to know how to do it. wp

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
mustang7757:

Thanks for answering. The SmartSwitch Preferences (no settings) show a tab for Software Update, but it doesn't tell you if there is any available. On the other hand, it seems that my Android system is at fault. I would like to have a way to re-install the existing version again. Just want to know how to do it. wp
Your welcome!
In smartswitch preference I circled what needs to be checked 20190614_151729.jpeg

williepabon

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
mustang7757:

Thank you very much for the information. Yes, I put the check mark on the Software Pre-Download. What I couldn't make it work is the emergency software recovery. As I said before, it keeps asking for a recovery code. As I gather from the video about Odin, it's going to take a while to be familiar with it, to re-install the firmware. Thanks again for the help. wp

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakhikumari800000