Com.system.update has stopped - Android 7.0

FrankWang

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
My Android 7.0 system pops up "Com.system.update has stopped" which cannot be removed when I reboot my device.

com.system.update - 1.jpg

And before rebooting the system showed that
"Google Play Store
Disabled App
"com.system.update" may be harmful

com.system.update - 2.jpg

Does anyone know what to do with the issue? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Do you know if Google Play Protect automatically disabled that app?

FrankWang

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which device do you have? Do you know if Google Play Protect automatically disabled that app?

Hi @B. Diddy,

Thank you very much for your reply. So it is suspected that the Google Play Protect disabled the "Com.system.update" App? It makes good sense. We will check and reply.

The device belongs to a new model of our product. A radio transmitter which can run Android 7.0 system.
Here is the link: SIYI UAV Smart Remote Controller, Datalink, Video Transmission, RC Hobby Radio

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, from the appearance of that notification, it sure sounds like Play Protect identified it as potentially harmful. Apps that start with "com." are typically system-level apps, but I suppose it's possible that could also be malware trying to disguise itself as a system app. Or this could be a system app that Play Protect is incorrectly identifying as malicious (or who knows -- maybe the manufacturer installed malware on the device, knowingly or unknowingly).

EDIT: I did a little searching, and it does seem like that's a bogus "system" app that causes lots of ads:

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-com-system-update.html
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/241349-comsystemupdate-failed-to-be-removed/

If you go to Settings>Apps and tap Menu>Show System, can you find that app? If so, does it give you an option to Uninstall? A true system app can't be uninstalled.

FrankWang

Aug 19, 2019
Visit site
Dear @B. Diddy,

Thank you very much for your help. Our engineers checked about the Play Protect settings exactly following your guide, and now we believe that the issue is solved. We will keep watching on the system for a while.

I tried to help our engineers by myself and found the two links as you listed. Due to my shallow knowledge of the Android system, I didn't come up with a solution. Thanks again for your help. I am very impressed with your fast replies and the efficiency for a rookie like me trying to get some help in Android Central!

Hope that I can come back someday to make a contribution to the forum!