Rolling back to previous camera after upgrade

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi folks

Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered. I have looked all over to attempt to find an answer, but so far have been unsuccessful.

OK, I've got a just turned two year old Samsung Galaxy S8. Until a few days ago this was on a Vodafone unlimited text/calls and 1gb data package, which had crept up to £21 a month, but now I've switched to a Sky deal, same texts/calls/data for a more reasonable £6. I'm still using Oreo for reasons I'll explain

In the early days of using the phone, I did access the Internet a few times, and found it a much better experience than on my previous Samsung Galaxy Note. I didn't use the 'net a lot, but stopped completely around four months in (or whenever Oreo was replaced) because my OH, who also has an S8, let hers upgrade and found that it changed the camera. Now I must be honest and say I use my phone much less than she does, and probably not enough to justify what I pay each month for it, but it works just as I like it, and, as the camera is the thing I use most, I don't want it to change. What is the thing I don't like about the newer camera app? Well, the fact that when you open it, you then have to choose between taking photos or taking videos, rather than just pressing a button to do each one. From memory, this is something I never liked on the Note, and I was thus pleased when I got the newer phone and the, IMHO, better interface.

To get to my point, I'm now contemplating letting the phone upgrade. So far I've avoided it simply by not logging on. I know you're supposed to always have the latest software version to avoid security risks, but as I never connect, this isn't really an issue. If I do upgrade then, is there any way to revert the camera app back to version 7.6.83 that's both easy to do implement and won't risk messing up the phone?

Apologies for the long winded question and thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There is no way to revert back to it since it's not a standalone app in the system. Now, you may be able to find an app 'rip' from an earlier version, but that would install as a separate camera app and chances are it's gonna be buggy (not only the functionality changed, the innards also changed).

My best advice if you don't like that set up is finding a 3rd party camera app that still retains that kind of functionality/usability.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
There is no way to revert back to it since it's not a standalone app in the system. Now, you may be able to find an app 'rip' from an earlier version, but that would install as a separate camera app and chances are it's gonna be buggy (not only the functionality changed, the innards also changed).

My best advice if you don't like that set up is finding a 3rd party camera app that still retains that kind of functionality/usability.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise that as the phone shipped with the camera app, it was part of the system software. I'd seen "apkmirror" stuff which seems to have the same camera, but no idea if this was something I could use.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The stock camera app is included as part of the OS package, but may still be a stand alone app. You can try APK Extractor to make your own backup of the current app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ext.ui

I tested it on my LG V60's stock system camera app and it appeared to work. Sites like APK Mirror are somewhat risky because you don't know who uploaded an app or if they added anything malicious to it. Making your own backup avoids that.

The bigger question is will that backup work with the newer OS version. You may need to play around with things to get it working, including disabling the existing stock app before installing the new one. There may be a chance it tries to block the installation if the system checks version info and such.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
That's interesting Mooncatt, and I like the logic of creating my own, safe, backup!

Of course, the next hurdle would be, how do I download software to do this without risking the phone updating? :) TBH, I guess anything I download would be quite small compared to an upgrade, so as long as I was quick...

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's interesting Mooncatt, and I like the logic of creating my own, safe, backup!

Of course, the next hurdle would be, how do I download software to do this without risking the phone updating? :) TBH, I guess anything I download would be quite small compared to an upgrade, so as long as I was quick...
You could probably download it and disconnect before the phone can download even half of the system update. I know on some phones you could boot into recovery and delete the system cache to remove a pending system update, so that may be an option for you.

Likely the safest way would be to use another phone to download the extractor app, run it to exact itself, then transfer that apk to your phone and install it.

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
It's getting complicated - for me that is, I'm fine messing with stuff on Windows, but phones are a bit of a black art - but nevertheless, sounds like there may be ways to at least test theories, and hopefully achieve what I'm looking for!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech