Android O - Clearing Cached Data?

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Does Android O have the "Clear Cached Data" feature? I've been through all the settings and haven't been able to find it. TIA

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It kinda looks like the cached data option has been intentionally removed from user settings. These paragraphs from the O dev preview release notes may suggest why:

"Android O gives better guidance and behaviors around cached data. Each app is now given a disk space quota for cached data....

When the system needs to free up disk space, it will start by deleting cached files from apps that are the most over their allocated quota. Thus, if you [the developer of an app] keep your cached data under your allocated quota, your cached files will be some of the last on the system to be cleared when necessary. When the system is deciding what cached files to delete inside your app, it will consider the oldest files first (as determined by modified time)."

Long story short, they want app developers to better police their own apps in order to help the android system police itself. With cached data set on a per-app basis, routinely wiping out all cached data in every app at once may undercut the system's own enforcement abilities.

Note: I'm guessing.

SRFast

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Allocating a specific amount of space to each app and making it responsible to manage it will force the developers to be more efficient.

kamirz

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
If i understand correctly what you want:
Settings>Apps&Notifications>App info>tap on the app you want>tap on storage.
Hope it helps.

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
If one deletes and app, is there any cache clearing that needs/can be done for the deleted app? Asking because I'm trying to troubleshoot an app and their tech support tried to have me clear cached data AFTER they had me delete the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad