I always run the betas of Android, I don't remember one that was in such poor shape as O is right now. The performance is noticeable sluggish as compared to Nougat, the battery life, which was already bad on N, is much worse and Android Auto doesn't work at all. Because AA is absolutely critical I'm reverting back to N until it gets fixed.
    05-21-2017 04:20 PM
    I haven't tried Android Auto but I don't seem to be having the other issues you cite.

I did think the Android Central app was using more battery than it should have, but a reboot seems to have fixed that.

My device is a Pixel XL; what is yours?
    05-21-2017 04:43 PM
    I have a Nexus 6P. Your phone is one year newer so it's battery is much healthier which would make the battery drain less noticeable.
    05-21-2017 06:30 PM
    Perhaps. I do see a bit more battery drain than I would expect but these things are very subjective and difficult to quantify.

What I am not seeing is any obvious lagging.
    05-21-2017 07:10 PM
    There are a few apps that I have that are really sluggish when I was running O... just jumpy, jerky performance that I really am not used to seeing on this phone. And power consumption was a wee bit off at times, but no worries... it's pre-release.

Keep in mind... power and kernel optimization is one of the last things they merge. They are still finalizing APIs and other low level system bits, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to do any spit & polish work while the core is being worked on.
    06-07-2017 03:10 PM
    Had (and still having) this very same problem on my Nexus 5X. Battery life has taken a hit for the worst ever since I went to O. The phone also gets extremely hot, most notably the fingerprint scanner. This happens most when I'm using Duo
    06-07-2017 04:00 PM
    I agree the lag is really getting to me. Is there a way to opt out of Beta?
    06-09-2017 09:14 PM
    Well, the new beta (3) is a huge improvement. The OTA hasn't dropped yet, but I flashed the image.
    06-10-2017 12:04 AM
    So would beta 3 be like almost final version of O with all the features that official release will have other than bug fixes obviously.
    So beta 3 should be good way to understand whether O is better than Nougat significantly or just a slight improvement?
    Am excited to buy a phone with 8.0 pre installed but that would be a really long wait as I'm not enrolled in the beta program as my phone is outdated.
    Maybe Moto G6 will launch with O in February 2018. Long wait but then I'm still using Kitkat and haven't tried any newer version of Android.
    06-10-2017 02:50 AM
    So would beta 3 be like almost final version of O with all the features that official release will have other than bug fixes obviously.
    So beta 3 should be good way to understand whether O is better than Nougat significantly or just a slight improvement?
    3 is near complete... There is one more drop before launch, 4, and that one is really the one that'll be closest to the final product. But based on just general development practices, 3 is pretty close to the final release... I think the API level is set and a lot of the core is finished.

As far as features, that's a tricky one since we don't know if there are any Pixel exclusive features they plan on releasing... Google Assistant was a Pixel only feature for a bit, for example.

I will say this, in terms of performance, 2 was not ready for prime time.. it was not very efficient or well optimized, whereas 3 most definitely feels like it has a lot more polish. It'll take a few days to see how the power usage is though, but this feels a lot more responsive and smooth... Even more so than N was, at least on the 6P.
    06-10-2017 07:56 AM
    I don't use Auto either since my little truck is 19-years old. But, Android O is running great for me.
    08-16-2017 07:02 PM