07-09-2018 09:32 PM
26 12
tools
    Android 8.0 Oreo is here! I know we had been debating the name for some time now, but want to know, what do you think of the name?

In some strange freaky coincidence, there's an unopened bag of Oreos on my counter. And I'm hungry. You know what comes next.

P.S. Don't forget to out the Android Central Review of Android 8.0 Oreo.
    dlalonde, SpookDroid and Morty2264 like this.
    08-21-2017 04:00 PM
    I still don't like the statue ¬¬
    08-21-2017 04:14 PM
    yawn....I see nothing new in Android, they just changed notifications AGAIN and made a few background changes.
    recDNA likes this.
    08-21-2017 04:18 PM
    So is the official build that the system image build that will eventually be available still the OPR6.170623.013 that you can install now via the beta program?
    08-21-2017 06:13 PM
    I am installing the OTA update right now...
    08-21-2017 08:23 PM
    I am installing the OTA update right now...
    And, Aurora wallpaper has magically returned!
    08-21-2017 08:44 PM
    It was rumoured to include PIP. Is this true?
    08-22-2017 10:43 AM
    Anyone found a recording of the livestream? Missed it and would like to watch it. Usually those things turn up on YouTube fairly quickly.
    08-22-2017 11:09 AM
    I still don't like the statue ¬¬
    You're not the only one!

yawn....I see nothing new in Android, they just changed notifications AGAIN and made a few background changes.
    As far as the 6P's concerned, I agree. But I s'pose I'm speaking out of turn since mine's still on DP4. I have yet to get the final OTA. Though I doubt that a 60MB update is gonna bring any discernible difference with it.

Anyone found a recording of the livestream? Missed it and would like to watch it. Usually those things turn up on YouTube fairly quickly.
    It's really not worth searching for. All you get to see is a cutesy cartoon and the reveal of the statue.
    08-22-2017 11:42 AM

Settings -> Apps & Notifications ->Advanced -> Special app access -> Picture-in-picture:

Android 8.0 Oreo is here!-screenshot_20170822-124009.jpg
    zedexdriver98 likes this.
    08-22-2017 11:42 AM
    Yup. And was it a rumor? I thought it was there for a few preview builds now... anyway, yeah, it works.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/andro...icture-picture
    zedexdriver98 likes this.
    08-22-2017 11:53 AM
    I can enable picture-in-picture in settings, but it still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
    08-22-2017 03:31 PM
    Anyone know if Android Auto is working? I didn't work for me with the last beta build
    08-22-2017 05:36 PM
    receiving the updates as of today.
    08-24-2017 04:20 AM
    Nexus 6p here. if I get updated to Oreo am i correct to assume that I may notice changes in background processing but will not see any interface changes such as notification badges, Pip, and colored notifications...changes that seem to be launcher dependent since the Google launcher is static and not being updated.
    08-26-2017 02:08 PM
    09-02-2017 02:08 AM
    Have you been living under a rock?

https://www.androidcentral.com/andro...icture-picture
    09-02-2017 07:00 AM
    Hey, Guys, I am the Android user I want to update on Oreo from Nougat. Please guide me or how it will update?
    If you have a Nexus or Pixel, you can opt in to the beta program. If you have some other phone, you probably need to wait until Oreo comes out officially.
    09-10-2017 02:29 PM
    Don't understand why if they added notification dots to the ambient display they didn't just bring full notification content to the ambient screen, the same way Motorola did years ago with the Moto X. The ability to scan notifications without pushing any buttons or fully lighting the display was really useful, not to mention battery saving. Dots that tell me what apps have notifications? Meh...

...I mean c'mon Google, do you actually use these devices?
    Redbert31 likes this.
    09-16-2017 05:58 PM
    Latest Feature of Android Oreo are:

1) wer saving thanks to Android O
    2) Earlier updates thanks to Project Treble
    3) Apps and reboots are faster with Android O
    4) Apps are better thanks to Google Play Protect and tougher enforcement of criteria
    5) Wi-Fi Aware (also known as Neighbor Awareness Networking or NAN)
    6) Autofill revolutionizes password management
    7) Bootloop prevention with Rescue Party

I think for Android App Development, new version of android help alot
    massa2018 likes this.
    11-27-2017 10:01 AM
    I personally really like the name "Oreo." Then again, any baked good is usually aces in my book. 🤣
    12-26-2017 05:37 PM
    I am getting really tired of Iphone (have iphone 6s) and i want to purchase the samsung galaxy s9+ with android oreo. However if i upgrade i want to know if the samsung galaxy 9 will have routine updates similar to iOS (11.1, 11.2,11.3 etc) with bug fixes and security updates. I had android long time ago back in 2011 and was disgusted at its slow performance, judder and lack of updates. iOS is smooth, buttery fast with silky smooth transition animations. If I purchase to galaxy 9, will i get newer versions of Android after Oreo without having to wait? I read into Oreos "Project Treble" and will it finally resolve the disgusting fragmentation of Android software? Will galaxy 9 update to the new Android P with ease?
    03-02-2018 08:31 PM
    I am getting really tired of Iphone (have iphone 6s) and i want to purchase the samsung galaxy s9+ with android oreo. However if i upgrade i want to know if the samsung galaxy 9 will have routine updates similar to iOS (11.1, 11.2,11.3 etc) with bug fixes and security updates. I had android long time ago back in 2011 and was disgusted at its slow performance, judder and lack of updates. iOS is smooth, buttery fast with silky smooth transition animations. If I purchase to galaxy 9, will i get newer versions of Android after Oreo without having to wait? I read into Oreos "Project Treble" and will it finally resolve the disgusting fragmentation of Android software? Will galaxy 9 update to the new Android P with ease?
    No. The S9 will get Android P and Q, but it will be late, and the monthly security patches will also be delayed by anywhere between 1 week to 2mos depending on how much your carrier modifies the update themselves. This is pretty much guaranteed due to all the Samsung software features and difference in hardware.

You might say Android is fragmented, but that's the price to pay for everything to be different and for additional features on top of other Android devices. Samsung adds things like floating windows, full screen one handed mode, etc that stock Android doesn't have. The OS also does not have native support for the variable aperture on the S9 camera, since this is a Samsung first, so they have to add that in. AFAIK it cannot be an app level control otherwise it wouldn't work for other apps that utilize the camera.

If you want to have the latest updates but use Android, you'll have to go either Pixel or Nokia. These use the barebones 'unfragmented' Android that comes from Google. Of course you will lose some Samsung features but that comes as the price. You either have to choose Samsung features vs timely updates.
    03-02-2018 09:14 PM
    If you want to have the latest updates but use Android, you'll have to go either Pixel or Nokia. These use the barebones 'unfragmented' Android that comes from Google. Of course you will lose some Samsung features but that comes as the price. You either have to choose Samsung features vs timely updates.
    So you are stating that Samsung Galaxy 9 will get Android P and Q, but it will be delayed extensively. I really thought Project Treble resolved that issue, and made it easier for Samsung to implement changes/updates faster. I mean, i cant be dishing out $600-800 every 1 to 2 years for a new phone. How much RAM/Processor Speed/GPU do you really need to making a basic phone call and text message? The reason why I want the galaxy 9 was for the following reasons:

-Oreo/Project Treble: Implementation of Updates in similar fashion with iOS
    -Wireless fast charging
    -Beautiful AMOLED screen
    -Lots of storage space with Internal Memory + SD Card
    -I hate Itunes with a passion (cant identify music, and making playlists is retarded)
    -Nice decent camera
    -Updated Bluetooth

I am sure there is much more to the phone then what i listed, but the basic idea is that overall the hardware is much better.

I am disappointed and not ready for Android yet. Supposedly the android P will wooo iOS users but that wont happend until Galaxy 10?! I hate waiting
    03-03-2018 06:23 PM
    So you are stating that Samsung Galaxy 9 will get Android P and Q, but it will be delayed extensively. I really thought Project Treble resolved that issue, and made it easier for Samsung to implement changes/updates faster. I mean, i cant be dishing out $600-800 every 1 to 2 years for a new phone. How much RAM/Processor Speed/GPU do you really need to making a basic phone call and text message? The reason why I want the galaxy 9 was for the following reasons:

-Oreo/Project Treble: Implementation of Updates in similar fashion with iOS
    -Wireless fast charging
    -Beautiful AMOLED screen
    -Lots of storage space with Internal Memory + SD Card
    -I hate Itunes with a passion (cant identify music, and making playlists is retarded)
    -Nice decent camera
    -Updated Bluetooth

I am sure there is much more to the phone then what i listed, but the basic idea is that overall the hardware is much better.

I am disappointed and not ready for Android yet. Supposedly the android P will wooo iOS users but that wont happend until Galaxy 10?! I hate waiting
    Not even project Treble will help THAT much IMO because even if it is implemented, it will still undergo testing. The OEM cannot fully test it until its final form, so it will still be slower than the Pixels. Sure it will be faster than it is now, but do not expect it to be Pixel, Nokia, or Sony fast. Right now, Samsung takes between 3 to 6mos extensive testing before it releases the next Android version. I expect Project Treble to cut that in half, but I doubt more.
    03-03-2018 06:30 PM
26 12