I find myself using the Google App's "Reminder" function more and more often, for everything from reminding me to take meds before bedtime (every night) to putting out the yard waste (every other Tuesday evening) to calling my insurance broker about changing coverage (once and done).

So, here's the thing: there is just no simple, easy, way to create a new reminder except perhaps using Google Assistant and that's not always appropriate (as in, I have a thought during a meeting and don't want to "talk" to the Assistant).

I would love to have a "New Reminder" widget on my home screen, but there is no such thing available from what I can see...

Am I missing something obvious?
    09-01-2017 03:29 PM
    It's just as fast to use the Reminders icon. Guess I don't understand what you're looking for.
    09-01-2017 03:51 PM
    It's just as fast to use the Reminders icon. Guess I don't understand what you're looking for.
    What Reminders icon? I see no such thing anywhere...

Google Pixel XL running Android Oreo.
    09-01-2017 04:26 PM
    I see no such thing anywhere...
    Okay, my bad probably. I assumed O had the app, you just wanted to add a widget. You're saying Oreo does not have Reminder at all?
    09-01-2017 04:28 PM
    Okay, my bad probably. I assumed O had the app, you just wanted to add a widget. You're saying Oreo does not have Reminder at all?
    First, in the app tray, there is nothing under "reminder..." and nothing like "google remin..." nor does an app search for "remin..." turn up anything.

The only way I have found to create a new reminder is to open the Google app. For example:

1. Slide right from the home screen
    2. Tap the inbox icon near top-right
    3. Tap the hamburger menu at top left
    4. Tap Reminders
    5. Tap + to add new

Alternatively, from the home screen:

1. Tap the "G" search bar
    2. Tap "G" again
    3. Tap the hamburger menu
    4. Tap Reminders
    5. Tap +

It seems crazy that there is not a more direct way to create a new reminder...
    09-01-2017 04:36 PM
    It seems crazy that there is not a more direct way to create a new reminder...
    Okay, yeah, I agree. I haven't used it much because I can't create a repeating reminder. I use a quick notes in the Edge pullout for those, but would like a recurring reminder that doesn't suck battery.
    09-01-2017 04:39 PM
    Okay, yeah, I agree. I haven't used it much because I can't create a repeating reminder. I use a quick notes in the Edge pullout for those, but would like a recurring reminder that doesn't suck battery.
    But, you can create repeating reminders!

For example, I have one that repeats every other Tuesday at 6:00 PM.

Another that repeats every night at 8:45 PM

Another that repeats every other morning at 5:15 AM

Another every Sunday at 3:00 PM

And, a few that repeat every three months.
    09-01-2017 04:50 PM
    Only thing I can set is date and time for a single event, have no settings other than those two.
    09-01-2017 04:58 PM
    Only thing I can set is date and time for a single event, have no settings other than those two.
    Why no Reminders widget?-screenshot_20170901-180549.jpg
    Why no Reminders widget?-screenshot_20170901-180602.jpg
    Why no Reminders widget?-screenshot_20170901-180613.jpg
    Why no Reminders widget?-screenshot_20170901-180623.jpg
    Why no Reminders widget?-screenshot_20170901-180716.jpg
    09-01-2017 05:13 PM
    Thanks. The Reminder app itself does not have that. Will try it that way
    09-01-2017 05:48 PM
    Thanks. The Reminder app itself does not have that. Will try it that way
    I'm curious about this - what Reminder app? What device do you have?

On a Pixel XL with Oreo, I do not see anything that looks like a Reminder app and don't recall one in Nougat, either.
    09-01-2017 06:13 PM
    what Reminder app?
    I've got an S8+ on Verizon running N. Reminder is a separate app on my phone, but it's quite simple as I noted above. I haven't tried your suggestion yet.

Tried your suggestion and i would have to turn Google Cards on, so that is out.
    09-01-2017 06:18 PM
    Okay, it's a goofy way to spend $1.00 but I found "Add reminder to Google Now" by Fringe Networks in the Play Store.

Does what it says and is better than the other options described earlier.
    09-01-2017 07:05 PM
    I think what's going on is Google is trying to force us away from Google Now as it pushes everything toward Google Assistant and thus it's Google Home ecosystem.

I set my reminders by voice now by holding down my home button to activate AI. Not ideal but at least saves me from speaking Ok Google when not appropriate.

The other way I do it without speaking is by using Google Inbox. It has a shortcut to composing a reminder.

This feels like Google's tricks all over again. Frankly we need to check them on this. Other examples were forcing Google + on us and taking away Google Picasa as the web storage for photos to make it more "social".
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-02-2017 08:59 AM
    Reminders by voice with Assistant works pretty well except 1) I have not tried a complex reminder (every second Tuesday and Thursday at 9:00 PM) and 2) it's not appropriate when I am in the middle of a meeting.

OTOH, I have to say - I just got a new car with Android Auto and I am loving the idea that I can simply say "OK Google remind me to check [important thing here] at 9:15 this morning" when I am on my way to work and something occurs to me out of the blue.

Otherwise, the tool I mentioned above fulfills my need - I tap its icon on my home screen and it opens the reminder tool in a few seconds.
    09-02-2017 09:17 AM
    Just thought of another thing that changed... I used to be able to start a voice list and have it conveniently create a list in Google keep. Now the list is buried in GA to try and reinforce a need for Google Home.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    09-03-2017 12:43 PM
    Why don't you install inbox (Google's other email client) then add the reminder widget? I've had inbox on my phone's for so long I forgot that android came without it. I read the thread thinking"why hasn't anyone suggested he uses the reminder widget" and then looked in widgets and realised it was part of the inbox app
    12-15-2017 02:15 PM