Why Won't "+ Add ringtone" save the audio file I want to use as my phone ringtone?

Dave Satterlee

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I have a Google Pixel XL with Android 8.0.0. I'd like to use a song that's on my phone as my ringtone for when I receive a call. I've gone through what I believe are the proper steps but when I select the music file I want to use it doesn't seem to save it. Instead it reverts back to whichever non-custom ring-tone was in use before I tried to make the change.

Here's what I'm doing: Settings>Sound>Phone ringtone>+ Add ringtone>Open menu by swiping left edge to the right>Audio>drill down to the file I want to use>Select w/quick tap brings me right back to Phone ringtone menu without saving file>Long (held) tap of music file brings up "<- 1 selected OPEN">choosing OPEN brings me right back to Phone ringtone menu without saving file. Long story short, I can't seem to get the file I want added to the list of selectable ringtones.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What format is the audio file -- mp3 or wav?

Another way to do this is to use a file manager app to copy the sound file to the /Ringtones directory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12