Unable to type French accented characters in Oreo

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a physical keyboard with my Nexus 5X. Gboard is configured with the French (Canada) setup. In Nougat, this allowed me to click two keys in order to get an accented character. so for example, if I press ˋe, I should be seeing è but as you can see, that's not what I'm getting. This used to work in Nougat.

Any idea why it is no longer working?

Thanks,

L

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm using a physical keyboard with my Nexus 5X. Gboard is configured with the French (Canada) setup. In Nougat, this allowed me to click two keys in order to get an accented character. so for example, if I press ˋe, I should be seeing è but as you can see, that's not what I'm getting. This used to work in Nougat.

Any idea why it is no longer working?

Thanks,

L

Do you have multiple languages enabled? If you look at the space bar, does it have the name of the current language?

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I have multiple languages. It was the same in Nougat. I also set up the keyboards to use "French (Canada). "... Ah, and I just tried to use the Switkey keyboard, and it accepts dead keys correctly: èçêÊü. And swype... ˋeˋeˆe¸e doesn't work either. So it looks like Swype and GBoard use the same mechanism to recognize keystrokes and it looks like it's broken in Oreo. SwiftKey behaves correctly.

I had problems in Nougat with SwiftKey and the physical keyboard so I didn't use it. But looks like it is my workaround until GBoard is fixed. Although it seems slow as molasses with the keyboard.

L

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Yes I have multiple languages. It was the same in Nougat. I also set up the keyboards to use "French (Canada). "... Ah, and I just tried to use the Switkey keyboard, and it accepts dead keys correctly: èçêÊü. And swype... ˋeˋeˆe¸e doesn't work either. So it looks like Swype and GBoard use the same mechanism to recognize keystrokes and it looks like it's broken in Oreo. SwiftKey behaves correctly.

I had problems in Nougat with SwiftKey and the physical keyboard so I didn't use it. But looks like it is my workaround until GBoard is fixed. Although it seems slow as molasses with the keyboard.

L

That's odd, I'm French Canadian and I use it in French 99% of the time and I've never had that problem.

Did you do a factory reset after the update?

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Euh, non je ne l'ai pas fait. The accents work correctly with a *physical* keyboard? I have no problem with the virtual keyboard, just the Bluetooth physical keyboard.

I have a lot of stuff on my phone and I didn't really want to do a factory reset but... Maybe I should.

L

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Euh, non je ne l'ai pas fait. The accents work correctly with a *physical* keyboard? I have no problem with the virtual keyboard, just the Bluetooth physical keyboard.

I have a lot of stuff on my phone and I didn't really want to do a factory reset but... Maybe I should.

L

Oh! Sorry I misunderstood that part! Désolé! ;-)

That's a different story then. I'd try to check with the makers of your keyboard to make sure they're not already aware of the problem before doing a factory reset because on a Pixel it can be pretty long since there's no SD card. But that should be one of your next steps. Sometimes there are remnants of the previous OS or settings remaining which causes bugs. I systematically do a fresh install of every new OS whether it's Android or Windows. It sucks but at least I know that if a bug appears it's not because of a bad upgrade.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01