Android Messages 2.8 draining battery in the background

shodan_f

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
A few days ago I got the 2.8 update for Android Messages via the Play Store on my Pixel 2 (latest Oreo, no root etc). Since then, the app is permanently running in the background, eating up battery, no matter if I use it or not. I only use it to send and receive text messages, battery optimization is enabled (as per default), clearing cache and storage does not help.

This didn't happen on any previous versions of the app (which had next to 0 background activity) and it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem (as I cannot find any reports on it on the web). I reverted back to 2.7 from APKMirror - no background activity, no problem, I didn't change anything else on my phone. Any of you guys have this problem with the latest update?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! No problems here (2 XL running Android Messages 2.8.040). Does clearing cache/data get rid of your text conversations? (I haven't done it in a while, so I can't remember.) If your previous text conversations show up again, do any of them have lots of images, or perhaps is there a conversation where images seem to be stuck downloading?

shodan_f

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
No, clearing cache/data for Messages does not delete any conversations (they're stored elsewhere, but don't remember where), only the settings in the app. I use only text messages (SMS), no pictures or other media content. If I uninstall the update and revert back to an older version, the problem disappears, while the stored messages remain the same.

This seems to be a very rare bug. I found another user in a German forum who experiences the same and a current Play Store rating which describes the problem as well, but that's it.

Last edited:

American Locomotive

Mar 4, 2018
Visit site
No, clearing cache/data for Messages does not delete any conversations (they're stored elsewhere, but don't remember where), only the settings in the app. I use only text messages (SMS), no pictures or other media content. If I uninstall the update and revert back to an older version, the problem disappears, while the stored messages remain the same.

This seems to be a very rare bug. I found another user in a German forum who experiences the same and a current Play Store rating which describes the problem as well, but that's it.

I have the exact same issue on my Galaxy S5 Active. Android Messages absolutely plows battery if left running. My only solution is to open the "recently used apps" menu, and manually close out messages every time I use it. Sometimes even that doesn't work, and I have to force-quit the app.

shodan_f

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Latest Update: I installed the March update and use Messages 2.9.052 now – no difference. It still runs permanently in the background. Force quitting the app does not work, because it restarts automatically after some time.

Anyway, I noticed when I leave my phone untouched for a few hours, Android Messages stops running in the background. So I think when the phone enters doze or deep sleep or whatever, Messages stops its background activity. However, when I use the phone (in whatever way) again, Messages continues to run in the background, using battery. I contacted Support, they want to have a look at the bug report which can be created via developer options. I wonder if that'll help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret