How do I assign a messaging tone to a specific individual on the Galaxy S8 Plus

Steve valade

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Hello. 1st off I am new to this so please go easy on me 👍🏼 ok so. Before I updated my Galaxy S8 Plus
to Android Oreo from nougat I could assign a specific messaging tone to an individual person and now when I go into edit someone's name the option to assign a specific messaging tone to them is no longer there the only two options are the ringtone and the vibration does anyone know how I can assign a tone to a specific person I can't believe that Android would take that feature away on an update .Thanks for your help.

accursedvenom

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
they intentionally removed it. I asked samsung support about it and they said it was an old feature that they decided to remove and linked a feedback site to request it be added back in.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
My LG V30 got the 8.0.0 update on Mar 29 or 30.
I just checked my contacts list. LG kept the feature for the individual notification sounds. :)

But, yes, Textra will let you assign notification sounds to existing threads.

Arlyne1971

Apr 4, 2018
Visit site
I'm a quadriplegic, paralyzed from the neck down, and it really helped to hear the text tones so I know who would text me. Could you please re-enable that please? Don't usually get phone calls from my friends, so the ringtone doesn't help as much. PLEASE BRING THE TEXT TONES BACK!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! FYI, this is an independent community forum, without direct affiliation with Samsung, Google, or any other company. You can give feedback to Google or your phone manufacturer through their website or the phone's Help/Feedback menu.

As mentioned above, you can install a 3rd party texting app like Textra that will at least let you assign different tones to different existing message threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38