Can't change messaging app

Stevie13

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I would like to use Textra after this latest Oreo update ( because like a lot of complaints I'm reading, you can no longer customize the notification tone for individual contacts. I change the default messaging app to Textra and then the Samsung messaging app goes back as the default. Anybody have the same issue? Thanks for the input in advance, I'll attach a screen shot tomorrow, it's getting too late for this nonsense. ( Samsung Galaxys8, Sprint)

Last edited:

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
AT&T SG8 Oreo here. I am running Textra version 3.44 and could switch between the stock and Textra without any problem.

Textra is primary text app, if I try to bring stock app up I will get the warning that Samsung app is not my primary and if I'd like to switch to it - ofc I said NO.

Screenshot_20180331-162542_Messages.jpg

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Sorry :D

I should have said "Cancel". Did you able to make Textra as your default app for text?

Can you go to APPS > Default apps and able to click on Messaging app? This should give you choices of setting whatever text apps you installed on your phone and can select the one you want.

Your path may be different from mine tho.

Screenshot_20180331-180222_Settings.jpg

Stevie13

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
When I click Cancel, I cannot text, same prompt comes up when I open messaging app. I am using Nova Launcher, think that makes a difference as far as default messaging app?281935d1522528151t-cant-change-messaging-app-screenshot_20180331-162542_messages.jpg

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Umm, from the screenshot if you click cancel button it will bring up the stock app up anyway. If you close the stock app and open up Textra app, do you have any error? Also one post up on the default apps. What does your shows? Stock app or Textra? If not Textra, tap on messaging app and you will get to pick what you want.

Right now just confirm what app is your "default" messaging app.

Stevie13

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
If I close the stock app the same error message comes up. I have gone to settings/apps/default apps and chose Textra as my default. But when I go to messages error occurs, wont let me text but when I tap in the type field that error message comes up. Back to stock Samsung messages app. Thanks for the help btw. I do appreciate it

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
If I close the stock app the same error message comes up. I have gone to settings/apps/default apps and chose Textra as my default. But when I go to messages error occurs, wont let me text but when I tap in the type field that error message comes up. Back to stock Samsung messages app. Thanks for the help btw. I do appreciate it
The problem is you're opening Messages. You're not supposed to be doing that because you already chose to not use Messages. You should be clicking on the Textra app. Just remove Messages from the dock or homescreen and replace it by putting Textra there.

Stevie13

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
You are AWESOME...All I wanted to do was keep my custom ringtones but the Oreo update took that feature away, perhaps it will be back and I'm sure Oreo has some great new features and stability. Peace for now and again thank you.

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Hehe, I was about to ask about that but never did. I was wondering the same thing if you actually click on the actual Textra app.

I have been using Textra for long time now, worth the money spent on pro ads free version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair