What I hate about Oreo

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I've only had Oreo on my Note 8 for less than a day. Here's what I've found so far:

<soapbox>
Who in their right mind decided it was a good thing to remove the ability to customize notification tones? Am I the only person that wants to know the difference between emails and texts? I'd also like to know when someone approaches my front door instead of the driveway. And for chrissakes let me change the tone rather than have every damn thing use the same tone!

I guess Google has decided they want to be more like Apple. Next thing to go: downloading ringtones on your own. You'll have to start getting them strictly from Google.

</soapbox>

Like I said, it's been less than a day so I'm hoping I find something I love about Oreo. I did discover the joys (and pain) of Textra as a replacement for Verizon's Message+ app (thanks to posts here). Got something you really like? Post it - I'm still reading. Thanks!

sbhnet

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Gmail and Textra.
Yes, I installed Textra to solve the tone problem. I have other emails apps n addition to Gmail. Do you happen to have any Ring products? Canary? I do know that Ring is aware and is scrambling to write new code to fix the problem...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I installed Textra to solve the tone problem. I have other emails apps n addition to Gmail. Do you happen to have any Ring products? Canary? I do know that Ring is aware and is scrambling to write new code to fix the problem...

Don't have either of those.

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely had to respond to this one since I just posted my frustration as well in Note 8 Forum :

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-8/880865-what-mistake.html#post6214413

This is an unreal disaster and would love to slap the ***** who decided to take away all the features so many of us had until this update! SURE-we couldnt chosen NOT to do the update, but how is one to know what you lose or whats gained? So far (Like you here OP) Ive had it less than a day and hate everything about it.

Lost ability to choose between two different Settings layouts??

Lost ability to actually see a real number above your Text box for missing Texts?

Lost ability to see LED Light notifications?

WTF OVER?? --How does one return to the software we had before? (yeah yeah-not possible Im sure!)

This is so frustrating Im beyond words. All over a damned phone too. UGHHHH

jdspicoli75

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I thought I liked the update until I noticed no app info option when you long press on an icon. Now I have to go into settings / apps / and find my app I want to change permissions and notifications on. Deal breaker for me. I want it the way it was.

JC8865

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Stock launcher and Oreo update..no info on long press so I think it is an Oreo issue or a service provider issue.Screenshot_20180409-095055_Samsung%20Experience%20Home.jpg

Nidwow

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
AT&T Galaxy S8 running Oreo here. I have no app info with Samsung Stock launcher. But I do have app info with Nova Prime launcher. So it is not Oreo. In my case it is a Samsung launcher :D

Screenshot_20180410-194014_Nova Launcher.jpg

Screenshot_20180410-194037_Nova Launcher.jpg

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The stock launcher for my LG V30 on Android 8.0 shows the option for app info.
Sounds like Samsung really dropped the ball with their dumbing down of their phones.

neo158

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
The posts on here highlight exactly why Google needs to stop manufacturers from adding their own launchers on top of Android. The missing App Info option is NOT an Oreo issue, it's a Samsung Experience issue.

The problem is that there are way to many manufacturers launchers and, in Samsung's case, most people think it's the default launcher for Android simply because Samsung are the most prolific manufacturer of Android devices BUT, they don't own the OS. As most people know Samsung add their own customisations on top of stock Android, including the launcher, which is probably why you will NEVER see a Samsung Android One device, this then means that if a feature is missing from a Samsung device users immediately assume it's an OS issue and not a manufacturer customisation issue.

Below is a screenshot from my Nokia 8 which is as close to stock as you can get without going for a Pixel:

Screenshot_20180415-192348.jpg

As you can see, this is definitely NOT an Oreo issue.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae