Issues with oreo

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just got the update last night on my stock G6 using the Google Now launcher and, I'm not really digging it. First I lost the individual notification tones for my Gmail tabs, now all my mail sounds with the generic mail tone. I liked being able to tell what kind of mail I'm getting just by sound. I also am not seeing the app notifications, the little dots on apps. I don't know if this version of Oreo is buggy but I'm just not digging it now

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That's just Oreo. You can run the Nova Launcher to get notification numbers, and SMS Popup to get individual text tones, but you'd have to run an older version of GMail (and never update it) or a different email app to get the email tones.

rictamch

May 20, 2018
Visit site
I too updated on my g6. Before the update I was able to say Hey Google while phone was locked and Google Assistant would open. Now this does not work. A screen shows to enter my pin or fingerprint. Have gone through all settings and everything is correct. Anybody else have this issue?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have individual sounds for different mailboxes on Oreo, using the Gmail app.

Oreo with the Google launcher should have notification dots, but without numbers. You need to allow the launcher to access notifications in permissions.

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have individual sounds for different mailboxes on Oreo, using the Gmail app.

Oreo with the Google launcher should have notification dots, but without numbers. You need to allow the launcher to access notifications in permissions.

I think I have everything set ok but how do I check? Also does it matter that I using an older version of Google Now? The Play Store tells me the newer version isn't compatible with my phone

chuckdawg1999

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Found out by trial and error that the dots will not work with Google now. I also found out that if you swipe a notification from the shade it removes the dot from the related app