"select the device for media audio" Notification

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded my LG G6 to Android 8.0 Oreo, and now when I connect my G6 to my car's audio system using Ford Sync (Bluetooth) I see the notification message:

Select the device for media audio

There's two icons, one for "Ford Sync" and the other for "G6", which seems to indicate I need to pick one, but when I try nothing happens.

Does anyone know how to stop this notification from appearing when I connect my G6 to Bluetooth audio? It is super annoying.

I tried looking at the G6's Bluetooth settings, but nothing there.

Thanks.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Everything works fine, but I have this notification that allows me to pick either my Ford Sync or G6 for audio.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I don't have either model, but if there is no way to set a default for when you connect is unusual nowadays. Should remember the last selection. Good luck.

geodosch

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm having major problems with my BT audio on my LG G6, which seems to coincide with the appearance of this notification. I can be listening to audio on my BT headphones, and for no apparent reason the output will switch to my phone. When this happens, the phone is sitting on my desk next to me, not being touched. It's embarrassing when I'm sitting in my cube farm, and suddenly whatever I'm listening to comes blaring out of the phone speaker. When this occurs, the BT is still connected, but the "Select the device for media audio" is switched from the headphones to "LG G6". If I select Headphones, it switches back. I have not determined any pattern to when it switches-- it could go for hours, or just a few minutes before switching back to the phone again.

I also am having the issue where when using it in my car it will start out playing through the phone, even though the car BT is connected. Again, if I select "Car Audio" on that notification bar, it switches over. But it's annoying to have to keep doing that, and not just have it default to the car, which is what is always did up until recently.

The issue of it switching on its own has basically made my BT headphones unusable at work, since I never know when it's going to switch to the phone and disrupt the office. I've also had it do this with a different pair of BT headphones, and it has occurred with multiple apps (iheartradio, media player, YouTube, etc.) so it's not being caused by either the app or the BT device.

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm having major problems with my BT audio on my LG G6, which seems to coincide with the appearance of this notification. I can be listening to audio on my BT headphones, and for no apparent reason the output will switch to my phone. When this happens, the phone is sitting on my desk next to me, not being touched. It's embarrassing when I'm sitting in my cube farm, and suddenly whatever I'm listening to comes blaring out of the phone speaker. When this occurs, the BT is still connected, but the "Select the device for media audio" is switched from the headphones to "LG G6". If I select Headphones, it switches back. I have not determined any pattern to when it switches-- it could go for hours, or just a few minutes before switching back to the phone again.

I also am having the issue where when using it in my car it will start out playing through the phone, even though the car BT is connected. Again, if I select "Car Audio" on that notification bar, it switches over. But it's annoying to have to keep doing that, and not just have it default to the car, which is what is always did up until recently.

The issue of it switching on its own has basically made my BT headphones unusable at work, since I never know when it's going to switch to the phone and disrupt the office. I've also had it do this with a different pair of BT headphones, and it has occurred with multiple apps (iheartradio, media player, YouTube, etc.) so it's not being caused by either the app or the BT device.

I'm having this same exact bluetooth issue on my samsung s7 edge since last at&t software update. I can't detect any pattern. I do have 2 devices connected to bluetooth simultaneously, so going to try with just 1 and see if the problem still happens.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd say you have a defective phone. Since it's been well over a year, either you'll have to find a really good repair shop, or you can try backing up everything you've done on the phone since you got it, then flashing the ROM to it (again). Unless this has been happening since you got the phone (or the Oreo update) then you should have reported it to LG at the time, and it's probably some inherent bug. (And, since it's not affecting everyone, even if they did decide to try to fix it, and traded your G6 for one that works [you can't fix a bug unless you can reproduce it on demand], I wouldn't hold out much hope of their finding it.) Chasing down an intermittent bug is why being bald is an advantage for a developer - there's nothing to pull out.

f205682

Oct 2, 2018
Visit site
I'd say you have a defective phone. Since it's been well over a year, either you'll have to find a really good repair shop, or you can try backing up everything you've done on the phone since you got it, then flashing the ROM to it (again). Unless this has been happening since you got the phone (or the Oreo update) then you should have reported it to LG at the time, and it's probably some inherent bug. (And, since it's not affecting everyone, even if they did decide to try to fix it, and traded your G6 for one that works [you can't fix a bug unless you can reproduce it on demand], I wouldn't hold out much hope of their finding it.) Chasing down an intermittent bug is why being bald is an advantage for a developer - there's nothing to pull out.

No, that Phone is NOT Defective. What is being asked if you can remove the Notification they added in the Android 8.0. Because I am having the same Issue and my Phone is just fine!

konvajw

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site

Just a note that I saw on a different forum. The issue is caused by the iheart app and occurs regardless of whether iheart app is open or not. It occurs when the wifi connection changes, which causes the iheart app to force the sound (from any app being used to produce sound, not just iheart app) to play through the phone instead of via the bluetooth connection. I uninstalled the iheart app and the problem went away. Ridiculous that an app could cause this behavior, but give it a try.

geodosch

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Just a note that I saw on a different forum. The issue is caused by the iheart app and occurs regardless of whether iheart app is open or not. It occurs when the wifi connection changes, which causes the iheart app to force the sound (from any app being used to produce sound, not just iheart app) to play through the phone instead of via the bluetooth connection. I uninstalled the iheart app and the problem went away. Ridiculous that an app could cause this behavior, but give it a try.

@konvajw, thanks for that information. While I cannot confirm that it was iheartradio, the reference to the wifi switching lends it credence, since the 'public' wifi in my office can act-up at times.

I received an android OS update a few weeks ago, so I decided to try it again. And after a couple of weeks I haven't had the switching problem. Of course, it may well have been an iheart update that did the trick. Then again, it could still be an issue, and it's just that the wifi hasn't triggered it lately. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12