Photos app crashes and videos are in gallery but says file not found.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What would safe mode do or would I always need to start it in safe mode?

Safe Mode temporarily disables all 3rd party apps you installed. It helps to narrow down an issue to something you installed vs the system or hardware. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then the problem is being caused by something you installed, but then you'd have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem goes away.

The Oreo update for the S7 seems to be pretty glitchy, based on numerous posts here and other articles I've read. If that's the case, then all you can hope for is that Samsung pushes some patches.:-\

earljohnson

Jun 28, 2018
Visit site
To following fixed mine:

Settings (widget symbol in upper right)

Apps (Default apps, App permissions)

Tap on the three-dot symbol on upper right of APPS menu

Select Show system apps

Select Media Storage

Long press on Storage

Press both Clear Data and Clear Cache

Clear Data will give you a big warning that application data will be permanently deleted. This is not deleting your photos and videos. It is only deleting how the apps find them. Once this is deleted the apps will start finding them again which is what resolves the problem.

Wait for apps to find all the photos and videos. You can use your phone during this time but it may take awhile until you see all your photos and Media.

Muse_aly

Jul 3, 2018
Visit site
To following fixed mine:

Select Show system apps

Select Media Storage

Long press on Storage

Clear Data will give you a big warning that application data will be permanently deleted. This is not deleting your photos and videos. It is only deleting how the apps find them. Once this is deleted the apps will start finding them again which is what resolves the problem.

Wait for apps to find all the photos and videos. You can use your phone during this time but it may take awhile until you see all your photos and Media.

Followed this and restarted my phone. I can finally upload videos again!
Thanks 👍

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
To following fixed mine:

Select Show system apps

Select Media Storage

Long press on Storage

This fix my 7 active as well. Thanks for this tip I just did it this morning. Had to wait for a time when I wouldn't have to worry about work and doing something with my phone.

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Also while doing this, it changed a lot of the default sounds and I have changed them back but don't seem to stick with what I changed the sounds too. Any tips on this now?

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Pre-installed tones. I know with 8.0 update they changed it so there one only one notification noise but I change that one and it hasn't worked yet. And I changed my text message noise which I can do using Android Messenges but all notifications use the same tone and which isn't the one I have selected. My wife is having the same problem as well but she is stuck with the drum roll tone and mine is a different one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It won't hurt to try again, but it probably won't help either, since you already tried it.:-\

What about in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008. It's conceivable that the Oreo update could be have introduced an incompatibility with some app you installed, that is in turn affecting the notification tones.

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
It won't hurt to try again, but it probably won't help either, since you already tried it.:-\

What about in Safe Mode? https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28008. It's conceivable that the Oreo update could be have introduced an incompatibility with some app you installed, that is in turn affecting the notification tones.

I did try wiping the cache and that did not seem to help. I can try safemode possibly tomorrow if I get a chance to try it. Not sure what could have done that to change it. The only thing new I installed was Android Messages to try and have at least a different tone for my text messages instead of them all of them having the same tone. While they are different now neither of the sounds it makes are ones that I chose sadly.

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured it out and I feel so stupid. I was playing around with the Android Messages app and I guess I assigned a sound to someone I text very frequently by accident ( I can figure out how to change that to get rid of it later,) but it seems that noise was the one I hearing the most and now the text message noise is fixed as far as I can tell now.

Mike32290

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
How long did it take for pics and videos to be refund....I did this and my gallery, photos, and everything is showing no PICTURES OR VIDEOS...Please don't tell me they were deleted. It has been about 5min. I was having same issue, unable to send videos in text message form or post to facebook, and photos app itself would crash nonstop even not in use once 8.0 was installed....I followed the steps, cleared data and cache, but nothing is being refound, im really getting upset. I dont know what to do or how long I should wait. I had about 200 picutres and about a dozen videos....it looks like I lost everything....Internal storage is showing no videos or picture on my device.I had no cloud back up of any kind...this is disappointing as h***. So upsetting...hopefully it fixes the problem going forward. But so stupid. Installing 8.0 was the worst mistake I have made.

Last edited:

76FJ55

Jul 16, 2018
Visit site
It took mime about 10 minutes to reload all the photos and videos. I initially looked in the gallery and it was also empty. I then opened camera, and opened the gallery from the camera app. it popped up a notification that it was finding photos. The gallery started repopulating, and all the original photos and videos reappeared.

guest_101491

Jul 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm having this same problem. A constant pop up telling me "photos is not responding". I've done all the normal troubleshooting and checked app permissions and nothing has worked. I can't access the gallery at all from Facebook messenger and cannot send any new videos through SMS. The issue is only with videos, not pictures.

hipdaddy48

Jul 19, 2018
Visit site
To following fixed mine:

Select Show system apps

Select Media Storage

Long press on Storage

earljohnson .. EUREKA! It worked on my S7 Active! GREAT job. Thx!!
I added one more step; restart your phone.
Many thx again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781