I have about 1900 contacts with multiple phone numbers, addresses etc for each one. In an Android 4.4 GT-S7582 these were perfectly read by VW car audio every time I connected the two. Since my new A8 (7.1.1 then 8.0) car system sees 1900 contacts, starts importing them, stops at a little over 200 and then displays "no contacts with phone numbers found". If I touch "Contacts" on the car system screen none is displayed. Call history & SMS's are read normally by the car system (but call list displays the numbers rather than the names, since the contacts have not been read).

Phone is up to date. VW has issued no update.

If I try with my phone and my wife's simple contacts (just first/last name and 1 phone number) all is fine. If I delete all but a few (say 10) of my contacts, car system reads them.

So, something has changed (after Android 6 maybe?) in the way the phones communicate with the car. Anyone?

PS. There are a bunch of reports on the internet, mostly with VAG cars, offering various solutions with having or not having groups, showing all contacts on phone or just device, having a google e-mail or hotmail e-mail as user e-mail, installing 3rd party Bluetooth apps... Nada! Nothing works!
    10-08-2018 05:05 PM
    I have about 1900 contacts with multiple phone numbers, addresses etc for each one. In an Android 4.4 GT-S7582 these were perfectly read by VW car audio every time I connected the two. Since my new A8 (7.1.1 then 8.0) car system sees 1900 contacts, starts importing them, stops at a little over 200 and then displays "no contacts with phone numbers found". If I touch "Contacts" on the car system screen none is displayed. Call history & SMS's are read normally by the car system (but call list displays the numbers rather than the names, since the contacts have not been read).

Phone is up to date. VW has issued no update.

If I try with my phone and my wife's simple contacts (just first/last name and 1 phone number) all is fine. If I delete all but a few (say 10) of my contacts, car system reads them.

So, something has changed (after Android 6 maybe?) in the way the phones communicate with the car. Anyone?

PS. There are a bunch of reports on the internet, mostly with VAG cars, offering various solutions with having or not having groups, showing all contacts on phone or just device, having a google e-mail or hotmail e-mail as user e-mail, installing 3rd party Bluetooth apps... Nada! Nothing works!
    I have Ford cars, which uses Sync. Since the Oreo update, my contacts are there, in order, and Sync dials them properly (using Bluetooth). However the contact picture are all wrong. There is no rhyme or reason. For instance, a "G" contact has a "V" picture on it. The Ford dealer told me Sync has not yet released an update (last version is 3.0). I checked the Ford website also. No update compatible with Android 8.0. It works, so I guess I should not complain, but it drives me nuts! I don't know what software VW uses, but this may be the problem. On a side note, when I use Android Auto and plug the phon into the car's USB port, tlthrough Google, the car show my contacts exactly as my phone does. Maps, etc, also display on the screen.
    10-09-2018 07:17 AM
    I have Ford cars, which uses Sync. Since the Oreo update, my contacts are there, in order, and Sync dials them properly (using Bluetooth). However the contact picture are all wrong. There is no rhyme or reason. For instance, a "G" contact has a "V" picture on it. The Ford dealer told me Sync has not yet released an update (last version is 3.0). I checked the Ford website also. No update compatible with Android 8.0. It works, so I guess I should not complain, but it drives me nuts! I don't know what software VW uses, but this may be the problem. On a side note, when I use Android Auto and plug the phon into the car's USB port, tlthrough Google, the car show my contacts exactly as my phone does. Maps, etc, also display on the screen.
    Hmmm, guess Ford is more capable than VW... Not to mention that VW prssents the system as Android 7 compatible including contacts...
    kgambino likes this.
    10-09-2018 08:50 AM