12-09-2018 03:03 PM
33 12
tools
    At this point, I'd start to consider contacting Lenovo for warranty replacement. Did you order the phone from Lenovo/Moto directly, from a store like Costco, or did you get it from a carrier?
    12-09-2018 01:58 AM
    It was through Verizon. Is there any reason to think that it's a hardware issue? Seems odd, since it's a relatively minor thing that wasn't present previously, and Ive been pretty paranoid about damaging it since I got it. Not to mention the delay iimproves after I go in and out of the category a couple times, which makes me suspect a software problem. I almost feel like it would be easier to just deal with the laggy settings rather than go through the hassle of sending it back.

If it is in fact a software bug, would I be right in assuming that a factory reset would fix it? When I got the phone, I was installing and messing with apps left and right for a few days and switching between a good few launchers, so not sure if I could have screwed something up by diving in hardcore from the get-go.

(It's currently 1:30 in the morning as I'm typing this, so apologies if its unreadable)
    12-09-2018 04:24 AM
    You could try a few things before a factory reset or sending the phone back.

- Did you enable the Developer Options? If so, toggle them off to restore the default values.

- If you have installed any RAM manager, battery booster, antivirus, utilities or cleaner app kill them with fire. I mean, go to settings - apps & notifications - select the app - force stop - clear defaults (if any) - storage - clear data - uninstall.

Repeat the same process for any custom launcher that you downloaded. Before doing this double check that you have switched back to the stock launcher.

- Go to settings - apps & notifications - see all xxx apps - three dots top right - reset app preferences - three dots again - show system - scroll down and select 'Settings' - storage - clear data. This will remove any personal change that you made in the settings.

- Restart the phone and see how it goes.
    12-09-2018 07:43 AM
    The benefit of having gotten it from Verizon is that you can try Verizon's Software Repair Assistant to reinstall the firmware (in case the firmware is corrupt).
    12-09-2018 12:11 PM
    I, eh , may have installed CCleaner and another optimization app at one point. Very possibly around the same time the settings app started acting up, actuallly... They've all since been uninstalled, but I didn't force stop or clear anything beforehand.

Clearing settings data immediately improved the delay. It's still there a bit, but after going in and out of the category once, it's noticably quicker.

There are more apps that say settings since I last looked though, two called Settings with the default Android logo, and two called Settings - Storage, one of which has a blurry low-res icon.

https://i.postimg.cc/KjyVv6LP/Screen...209-114152.png
    12-09-2018 02:45 PM
    I, eh , may have installed CCleaner and another optimization app at one point. Very possibly around the same time the settings app started acting up, actuallly... They've all since been uninstalled, but I didn't force stop or clear anything beforehand.

Clearing settings data immediately improved the delay. It's still there a bit, but after going in and out of the category once, it's noticably quicker.

There are more apps that say settings since I last looked though, two called Settings with the default Android logo, and two called Settings - Storage, one of which has a blurry low-res icon.

https://i.postimg.cc/KjyVv6LP/Screen...209-114152.png
    Those settings storage apps are system apps, nothing to worry about, but I'm not sure about those settings app with the Android icon and the Security & privacy app.
    12-09-2018 02:53 PM
    Tap one of those settings apps with the Android icon, scroll all the way down and tap 'app details'. Do you get any app in the Play store?
    12-09-2018 02:56 PM
    I thought of that, but no dice. Both just list Version Number: 8.0.0. Security & Privacy is a Verizon thing.
    12-09-2018 03:03 PM
33 12