Moto G6 Delay on Settings App

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Finally, finally, *finally* made the switch to Android, got a G6 last week. Everything's been silky smooth, but sometime a few days ago, the settings app started to make me wait a good second or so everytime I tap a category. Doesn't feel laggy, switches are fine, but the delay is really annoying. Runing Oreo.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oops, sorry about that! That website is usually pretty accurate, but not in this case ... :(

Also, I realized that the G6 doesn't allow you to wipe the cache partition, presumably because it uses the dual partition setup that allows for seamless updates: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G...-Cache-Partition-on-Moto-G6-Plus/td-p/4241481

To @Trevin K, instead of trying to wipe the cache, I'd boot into Safe Mode to see if the menu gets better: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/127893/p/30,6720,10385

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. This is only in the system settings menu? Do all other apps and functions work normally? Did the phone recently get a system update?

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
The only other things I've noticed are an odd graphical glitch on Nova launcher, sort of an extremely quick, white... almost looks like a clipping glitch in a way. That, and it'll remove certain apps from the home screen occasionally, and then they'll come back underneath the apps I put back. No recent system updates.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The only other things I've noticed are an odd graphical glitch on Nova launcher, sort of an extremely quick, white... almost looks like a clipping glitch in a way. That, and it'll remove certain apps from the home screen occasionally, and then they'll come back underneath the apps I put back. No recent system updates.

That's weird. Can you post a screenshot with those overlapping icons? Are you using an SD card?

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
That's weird. Can you post a screenshot with those overlapping icons? Are you using an SD card?

No SD card. Was using a cheapo noname 2gig card for a day or two, just to experiment, but pulled it out when my lock screen was exhibiting the same 1-2 second delay from when I hit the sleep/wake button. I can't post any screenshots of the icons, as it's relatively rare and unpredictable, but I'll fool around with the Nova settings today and see if I can trigger it. It's pretty much just one icon directly on top of the other, text and all, no positional difference.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
No SD card. Was using a cheapo noname 2gig card for a day or two, just to experiment, but pulled it out when my lock screen was exhibiting the same 1-2 second delay from when I hit the sleep/wake button. I can't post any screenshots of the icons, as it's relatively rare and unpredictable, but I'll fool around with the Nova settings today and see if I can trigger it. It's pretty much just one icon directly on top of the other, text and all, no positional difference.
A cheap noname card could cause some problems but it should be okay after unmounting it properly. Did you unmount it before pulling it out? Did you set the card as portable or as adoptable storage?

Those problems with Nova are very strange. I've used Nova in different Moto devices and never had such an issue and I don't remember reading any similar report from other users.

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
A cheap noname card could cause some problems but it should be okay after unmounting it properly. Did you unmount it before pulling it out? Did you set the card as portable or as adoptable storage?

Those problems with Nova are very strange. I've used Nova in different Moto devices and never had such an issue and I don't remember reading any similar report from other users.

I unmounted it the second time I tried it, admittedly before that I just pulled it out... :s

And I didn't set it as anything, basically threw it in one day to mess with, then took it back out and put some music on, then a couple days after that I properly ejected it.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Another icon disappeared, threw another one on top of it, restarted Nova, and got a screenshot.

https://i.postimg.cc/LXspDvdL/Screenshot-20181208-125349-01.jpg
That's weird. And if you tap that icon the Google app opens, right? I've never seen Nova causing this kind of issue. A possible explanation is if the Facebook icon is part of the wallpaper (screenshot used as background). Are you using any kind of live wallpapers? Have you already tried changing the wallpaper and using one of the stock ones that came preinstalled?

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Yeah, Google opens. Facebook is definitely not part of the wallpaper, no clue how that would even happen. The wallpaper has changed multiple times and not affected the icons, usually from the stock wallpaper app. No live wallpapers.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Google opens. Facebook is definitely not part of the wallpaper, no clue how that would even happen. The wallpaper has changed multiple times and not affected the icons.
Try this. Long press the Google icon and drag it to a different place. Now the Facebook icon should be completely visible, unless both icons moved around. If both icons are separated, what happens if you tap the Facebook icon? Also, can you drag it around after a long press?

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
The apps underneath are still apps, they just go dormant for periods of time, then come back underneath other icons, otherwise I'd have stacked icons all over the place. :p

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The apps underneath are still apps, they just go dormant for periods of time, then come back underneath other icons, otherwise I'd have stacked icons all over the place.
Not sure what you mean. Just an idea, can you post a screenshot of the whole screen when you get these overlapping apps? There's something I would like to check on the status that maybe could help us to understand what's going on.

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
The Facebook icon still behaves like a Facebook icon, basically. It's just two apps on top of eachother, it can be moved, used, if I put the Google icon back on top I can make a folder. The Facebook icon just vanished for no reason, then came back after I restarted Nova.

Attachments

• 37801.jpg
    37801.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 7

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The Facebook icon still behaves like a Facebook icon, basically. It's just two apps on top of eachother, it can be moved, used, if I put the Google icon back on top I can make a folder. The Facebook icon just vanished for no reason, then came back after I restarted Nova.
Very strange, placing an icon on top of another should create a folder instead of two separated apps. You can change a couple of Nova settings and see if it makes any difference. First drag the Google icon to a different place, open Nova settings - desktop - switch 'overlap while placing' OFF - switch 'lock desktop' ON.

Use your phone normally and tell us how it goes.

Trevin K

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
It *does* create a folder if I put it back on top. Overlap while placing has always been off, I'll put lock desktop on though.