How export chrome bookmarks

svette80

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Have searched inet and here. Go to google.com/bookmarks says none, in chrome settings sync on and bookmarks checked, under manage sync shows 103 are bkupd.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you trying to export them to a different browser, or sync them with another Chrome browser on another device?

svette80

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I am trying to export them to a file to be saved, for later import, to another phone or to PC. It is actually ver 8.1 Oreo.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can do it in the Chrome app. If you use Chrome on a computer, you can click Menu>Bookmarks>Bookmark Manager, then click the Menu button again on that page and Export Bookmarks. That will export them to an html file. Assuming you have your phone's Chrome app set to sync with your Google account, the bookmarks on the phone should also be available on your computer's Chrome. The exception would be any bookmark in the Chrome app's Mobile bookmarks folder -- those don't sync to your Google account in the cloud (which is why I never use that folder for bookmarks).

svette80

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I'm not sure if you can do it in the Chrome app. If you use Chrome on a computer, you can click Menu>Bookmarks>Bookmark Manager, then click the Menu button again on that page and Export Bookmarks. That will export them to an html file. Assuming you have your phone's Chrome app set to sync with your Google account, the bookmarks on the phone should also be available on your computer's Chrome. The exception would be any bookmark in the Chrome app's Mobile bookmarks folder -- those don't sync to your Google account in the cloud (which is why I never use that folder for bookmarks).

Thanks, don't use chrome on pc, try to stay as far away from Google as can. From inet searches should be able to do from phone. As I said in post ck chrome shows 103 bkupd up but then should be in Google.com/bookmarks to export but go there and shows none. Google offered the same type solution..but should export via Android phone and saved to import back in..only a file should not need a pc..in fact what do if didn't have one.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure if there's a simple way to export the bookmarks using the Chrome app only. If you don't trust Google, maybe you should use a different browser like Opera or Firefox.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Google already has the data synced to their servers. Installing it on your computer to export the bookmarks isn't likely going to expose any extra data to them, and then you can delete it from your PC after that.

svette80

May 11, 2017
Visit site

Don't use chrome on a PC, another reason need get them in a file for another phone or a backup.

svette80

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Don't use chrome on a PC, another reason need get them in a file for another phone or a backup.

I appreciate the feedback, but without the pc, it is sync'd from the phone, shows 103 bkup'd, they are suppose to be in google.com/bookmarks but not there. Should not need a pc to get back on to phone. Google chrome forums has not been help either, everybody assumes u run chrome on a PC.

svette80

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I have to assume since no further posts then it is impossible..figures.. another Google non function.
Now that day had come got a iPad and want the bookmarks from my phone on iPad. Both Android devices using chrome .so can't backup and move to iPad..great design..iPad is set up with different user acct than phone. Why, I am assuming if both devices have same account data from both will be stored together not separately and ever need to recover to one device would get the data from both devices.

Ray Kaplan

Feb 4, 2021
Visit site
Are you trying to export them to a different browser, or sync them with another Chrome browser on another device?

Can also use bookmark manager app like raindrop as a central respository for all of your app's bookmarks.

It understands how to deal with most apps such as various browsers. But the real key is using the export to htlm as described earlier in this thread.

I use a mac and have the very best bookmark manager = URL Manager Pro. While it does know how to talk to major browsers, some not such as FireFox due to a macOS permissions issue with it. And, FireFox for Android can not sort it's bookmarks (yikes).

Solution is tosynch phone's FireFox with the Mac's FireFox.Then there, use the AZ sort extension to sort them, then synch back down to phone.

And use FireFox on the Mac to export to an html bookmark file who's not just straight html, but rather has all the bookmark stuff such as folders, separators...

Anyway, URL Manager Pro can import these

Just an example of how you really have a bunch of different alternatives!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37