Google play services error popup

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
I keep getting Maps is having trouble with Play services pop up when using Google maps. It started in Oreo a few months ago. I believe it wants me to enable body sensors. It didn't require this permission prior but now it seems it does.
If I grant Google Play permission to body sensors then I don't get this error in Google maps anymore.

My question is this, why does Google play services want access to my body sensors all of a sudden? My personal opinion is that Google is gradually further and further getting more intrusive.
Screenshot_20181222-094544_Samsung Internet.jpegScreenshot_20181222-095232_Google Play services.jpeg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks like it's prompting you for this permission while navigating. Are you using nav while walking? If so, that may be why it needs access to Body Sensors. Does it ask for this permission if you navigate while driving?

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
No, it's in a vehicle mounted to dash .
It looks like it's prompting you for this permission while navigating. Are you using nav while walking? If so, that may be why it needs access to Body Sensors. Does it ask for this permission if you navigate while driving?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting Maps is having trouble with Play services pop up when using Google maps. It started in Oreo a few months ago. I believe it wants me to enable body sensors. It didn't require this permission prior but now it seems it does.
If I grant Google Play permission to body sensors then I don't get this error in Google maps anymore.

My question is this, why does Google play services want access to my body sensors all of a sudden? My personal opinion is that Google is gradually further and further getting more intrusive.
View attachment 295859View attachment 295860

It may be some other app that you installed which wants Body Sensors permission; perhaps it has Play Services locked up waiting for an affirmative response and that is interfering with Maps.

On the other hand, if I try to disable the Body sensors permission in Google Play services, I get, "If you deny this permission, basic features on this device may no longer function as intended." Sure enough, after disabling it, I get the same error as you did when I try to start Maps.

So, like it or not, it appears you really need to enable Body senors for Google Play services. :(

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the confirmation. I'll try Waze and see how I get along.
It may be some other app that you installed which wants Body Sensors permission; perhaps it has Play Services locked up waiting for an affirmative response and that is interfering with Maps.

On the other hand, if I try to disable the Body sensors permission in Google Play services, I get, "If you deny this permission, basic features on this device may no longer function as intended." Sure enough, after disabling it, I get the same error as you did when I try to start Maps.

So, like it or not, it appears you really need to enable Body senors for Google Play services. :(

vash_h

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site

It uses body sensors. Mine when I'm walking it'll detect in walking and when I search to go somewhere under directions it goes automatically to walking and not drive

frederickdawg

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
No smart lock, never used the option before.

Interestingly also launching Google app pops up a similar error message when being launched now also. Enabling body sensors rectified the situation. But I've disabled them.
Do you have Smart Lock turned on, using the On Body Detection feature?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc