Free Up Internal Storage Space - Moto G6

Ayjaycee

May 14, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm trying to free up some space from the international storage of my 32GB Moto G6 (running Android 8). When I go into 'Settings' and then 'Storage', it tells me that there is 7GB worth of 'Photos and Videos' stored but I can only find a total of about 150MB (in DCIM and Pictures folders). Does anybody know where the rest of the 7GB might be please.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It might be app data for the Google Photos app. If you have a ton of photos in your Google Photos cloud, the data can build up in the app -- I'm not sure exactly what that data is, but it might include thumbnails (which can actually take up a fair amount of space if there are enough of them).

Ayjaycee

May 14, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't even have the cloud switched on in Google Photos. I don't actually use the the phone camera that much for stills (and even less for video) - don't take this the wrong way but I am a pro-photographer and instinctively reach for a 'proper' camera when I need to take a picture. Google photos only suggests that it can free up 152MB which is consistent with what I said above. I am therefore at a loss to explain where the rest might be stored. I can live with it pro tem as I still have about 11GB free space but it does annoy me when it could (should?) be more like 18GB.

Ayjaycee

May 14, 2019
Visit site
Diddy, Again, thanks for the help. DiskUsage pointed me in exactly the right direction. The files were neither 'Photos' nor 'Video' but were Co-Pilot Maps (the entire map of Europe!) which I incorrectly thought had been saved to the Micro SD but were, in fact, on Internal storage. I've now deleted them and downloaded again to the SD card which has loads of room on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze