Hi guys, I got the new hangouts by downloading the APK. I am super paranoid about getting malware from apks, but I was too impatient to wait for the update. I personally think that I didn't download malware but I just want to put my fears to rest.

I downloaded the APK from Android Police. I had "Verify apps" enabled in the security settings of my Galaxy S3. There was no problems at all and nothing suspicious about it. Avast Antivirus said it was clean. I got worried for no reason, so I went to the Play Store, uninstalled all updates to the Hangouts app. After that, I updated it again through the Play Store (it didn't update to the latest update). My question is, if I did somehow download malware, did I get rid of it by uninstalling and reinstalling updates to the Hangouts app through the Play Store?

Thanks in advance.
    09-11-2014 12:32 PM
    Thanks.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Google still checks for malware on third party sources for apps. Since it was one for Hangouts and not a no name app, I'd say the chances of it having malware are next to none.
    Good question. I would run virus scans everyday for a long time. I know that sounds extreme but way back in my windows days, I downloaded some freeware and my antivirus was finding stuff in it for years later (I had it quarantined and never installed). Probably you're fine but if you're worried, just do daily scans.
    neonworm likes this.
    09-11-2014 01:24 PM
    Good question. I would run virus scans everyday for a long time. I know that sounds extreme but way back in my windows days, I downloaded some freeware and my antivirus was finding stuff in it for years later (I had it quarantined and never installed). Probably you're fine but if you're worried, just do daily scans.
    Thanks.
    09-11-2014 11:41 PM
    Thanks.
    I wouldn't worry about it. Google still checks for malware on third party sources for apps. Since it was one for Hangouts and not a no name app, I'd say the chances of it having malware are next to none.
    neonworm and mrsmumbles like this.
    09-11-2014 11:45 PM
    I thought so. I just wanted to confirm
    UJ95x and mrsmumbles like this.
    09-11-2014 11:46 PM
    I thought so. I just wanted to confirm
    LOL your a paranoid android.
    neonworm likes this.
    09-13-2014 03:08 PM
    LOL your a paranoid android.
    I see what you did there...
    09-13-2014 03:27 PM
    I see what you did there...
    Haha what do you mean ?