Advice on creating apps

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I have had in many ways used and owned an Android device in the past 5 years ever since it came out here in the UK. I have seen Android grow from 2.1 to 4.4.2 and i strongly believe it is the best mobile OS platform out there. SO, having used & owned devices i find being more familiar with features and stuff.

I consider myself an "intermediate level" when it comes to technical stuff related to making/creating apps. I want to find a different way to earn money apart from what i have now and i heard success stories from persons who created apps and became overnight hits.

Please advice on where or how to start with these aim of mine. I have lots of ideas in mind but i'm not sure if an app is already out there. Heard of courses but it requires months of study and lots of "investment". I have also a Macbook and i don't know if this is a deal-breaker when making apps.

Please help.Thanks.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I have had in many ways used and owned an Android device in the past 5 years ever since it came out here in the UK. I have seen Android grow from 2.1 to 4.4.2 and i strongly believe it is the best mobile OS platform out there. SO, having used & owned devices i find being more familiar with features and stuff.

I consider myself an "intermediate level" when it comes to technical stuff related to making/creating apps. I want to find a different way to earn money apart from what i have now and i heard success stories from persons who created apps and became overnight hits.

Please advice on where or how to start with these aim of mine. I have lots of ideas in mind but i'm not sure if an app is already out there. Heard of courses but it requires months of study and lots of "investment". I have also a Macbook and i don't know if this is a deal-breaker when making apps.

Please help.Thanks.

Android App Development - Mobile Software Design, Tools, How To

https://developer.android.com/index.html

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
People who wrote apps that became overnight hits remind me of Don Rickles - who said that it took him 40 years to become an overnight sensation.

For every Lionel Messi there are 10,000 kids playing on the street who will become shopkeepers and hamburger flippers.

Gino Guillermo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you for the advice. But, as i said i am not an expert on maths or coding or have a course to back me.

All i need is some basic background on how to start and how to do it. As a side question, is it "cheaper" to develop and publish an app on Android than iOS?

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks you for the advice. But, as i said i am not an expert on maths or coding or have a course to back me.

All i need is some basic background on how to start and how to do it. As a side question, is it "cheaper" to develop and publish an app on Android than iOS?

It is cheaper to develop on Android.

MobileGameReviewer

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
it cheaper to develop on android, having said that if you ask me which app dominate then my vote goes to iOS. I still not able to understand why is that when android have the larger market share.

Max Deshkevich

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Just accept fact - you will get 5 installs on your first app. You will get 20 installs on your second app. You will get 150 installs on your third up and maybe next one will fire into something bigger. If this is not scaring you - go ahead and implement one of your ideas (the simplest one), start with "how to create new project on android" and so on. Just ask google and you'll get a code example I promise :)

msftguy

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
it doesnt matter if app is already created ... there were thousands of messenger app before whatsapp ... but simplicity made it popular. if you think you can make some app better go ahead re-write it

Graham Trott

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
That would be my advice too. It's called "scratching your own itch". If a thing is no use to you, how can you tell if anyone else would want it?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
That would be my advice too. It's called "scratching your own itch". If a thing is no use to you, how can you tell if anyone else would want it?
Well ... I've written a lot of software over the decades that I'd never personally use. I worked for a game house and wrote th systems interface parts of a lot of code - and I've probably played a computer game, other than solitaire, about 3 times in my life. I did SAT practice software [a test given to high school students] when I was an adult. I wrote parts of a dating site when I was happily married.

If you write software, then figure someone else may like it so you publish it, what you say is true. If you go to an office 5 days a week to write software, you write what you're told to write, whether it intersts you or not. (I'm never going to test an A10 trainer, but I wrote software to test them.)

The same is tru - but to a lesser extent - with Android and iOS. Some companies have programmers who write the code whether they're interested in it or not, but most decent apps appear to be written by people who wanted an app to do that, then decided to publish it. (Some seem to be "let's see what I can write that will make the most money with the least amount of effort" - and they show it.)

Daxiongmao87

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Honestly downloading Android Studio and referencing google's documents as well as some youtube videos. Start with small ideas and branch out from them. I'd post links but this is my first post on Android Central :)

anon(9555426)

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Android Studio is a good starting points, ill second that. If your looking to build a game be that 2d or 3d, Unity3d is what I started with. Its really simple and has a lot to offer with a lot of code already built in, though you'll still need to be able to code obviously. It supports c# and Java.

tappztappz

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
My Advice if you are not good at coding you should hire people at Elance / upwork

i personally avoid India and China Developer . Learning the code from scratch is hard and also need time.

Beside Money , times is also precious resources . so don't forget about that . Hire people for doing something you can't do / don't like to do it

And make apps that is not too big at the beginning , Focus on Quality not Quantity

Making The first app is hard , but it is the first step that developer must go through

rapc80

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
My advice is simple. Any person without any coding language can learn HTML, CSS and Javascript. learn them and then there are different platforms like Cordova, Phonegap, IONIC etc. where you can make an app simultanously for Windows, Android And IOS. I am not a technical person but I made three apps using IONIC Platform. You don't have to learn different language for different platforms. It is easy as cake.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
praestrudtulle